Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2009 02:00

How do I enlarge my user account thumbnail?!

This may sound like a really stupid question but in Windows Vista Home Basic how in the world do I enlarge the tiny thumnail picture of my user account when it pops up on the welcome screen, etc.?  Can I even do this?  I have tried everything I can think of and searched the Windows Help/Support option extensively yet still can't manage to find a way to get that little box any bigger.  The tiny size of it is driving me crazy and I just can't manage to figure out a way to enlarge it like you can any of the icons on the desktop.  Please help!

4.6K Posts

March 19th, 2009 08:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

I don't think it is possible to enlarge the default thumbnail images

And the only way I can think of which *might* allow you to use a larger one, would be to select an image from pictures/photos stored on your computer?

You can use most any image - albeit one not exceeding 128 x 128 pixels in size.

I've just found this via Google:  How to Change a User Account Logon Display Picture in Vista (scroll down the page to find the actual 'how to') :emotion-55:

"You can select to use any BMP, DIB, RLE, GIF, JPG, or PNG image file for the display picture.
The image can only be up to 128 x 128 pixels in size to prevent it from being automatically cropped to fit the user display box.
If it is bigger than this, just resize it - otherwise, your image may be cut off or not centered properly

Tip:

Accounts                                  Default Picture Location

All - Picture Folder                 C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures
Standard - Administrator       C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp
Guest                                     C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\guest.bmp"

No Events found!