Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2018 10:00

I could not open the file that I needed at work for an important report.

What is the problem?  I could not open the file that I needed at work for an important report. In Excel 2016, I found an error unknown to me - Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. Tell me, can I open it and how? This is very important, because technical support was not able to help me to solve such problems.

1 Message

March 16th, 2018 08:00

Here are top 5 recommended methods that help you to recover data from corrupt MS Excel file:

1: Try to repair it manually when MS Excel does not automatically starts File recovery mode. 

Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.

Now select the corrupted workbook that you want to open.

Click the arrow next to the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.

Choose either ms excel xlsx repair tool (to recover as much of the file data) or Extract data (to extract values and formula when repair process is not successful).

2: Open with Open Office: Try to open your Excel file in Open Office. It is an open-source Office suite that is able to open & save Microsoft Excel files.

3: Save in HTML Format: Open your Excel file and save it in HTML format. By saving the workbook in HTML format, you may be able to filter out the corrupted elements.

4: Save in SYLK Format: Open your Excel file and save it in SYLK format. By saving the workbook in SYLK format, you may be able to filter out the corrupted elements.

5: Try 3rd party software

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 13th, 2018 15:00

@MeganBellwrote:

What is the problem?  I could not open the file that I needed at work for an important report. In Excel 2016, I found an error unknown to me - Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. Tell me, can I open it and how? This is very important, because technical support was not able to help me to solve such problems.

You may have better results posting on the Microsoft forums.

They'll want more detail than what you have written here.

I hope you have a back-up.

No Events found!