Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2013 19:00

I want to restore my computer to factory settings, but I can't

OK, so here is my problem. I want to restore my computer to factory settings, but I can't find a way to do that. I got my laptop (Dell XPS L502x) for Christmas in 2011, but it didn't come with Dell Datasafe or Dell Backup and Restore. I have tried to find ways to download it, but I can't find one that will successfully help me. Is there any way I can manually download it, or do i have to send my computer in to Dell to get it fixed?

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2013 19:00

Hi Bcastor,

Back up data before performing PC restore/Operating system reinstallation.

Follow below steps to perform PC restore:

1. Turn on the computer.
  2. As the computer starts, press on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen. 
  3. Note: You must press before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.  
  4. Press the on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press .
  5. Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.
  6. Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.
  7. Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
  8. In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
  9. Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.
  10. Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
  11. When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.
  12. The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

For more information refer PC restore.

http://dell.to/faqDIm

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

January 28th, 2015 17:00

I amntrying to restore mine to factory settings but i dont have a dell factory image so confused and upset

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 30th, 2015 01:00

I amntrying to restore mine to factory settings but i dont have a dell factory image so confused and upset

What is your model of Dell and Edition of Windows e.g. Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium or Windows 8.1 64 Bit Single Language?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 30th, 2015 13:00

Reinstalling 8.0 or 8.1 is easier than it used to be.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Pre installed windows 8 has the key in bios but you will have to use a generic key to start install and then activate online after windows is installed.

Only 64 bit versions will boot on UEFI 2.3.1 windows 8 pre installed machines.

XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB (Windows 8.1 Pro)
334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT (Windows 8.1 Home)

The generic keys are for install they do not work for activation.

If the media boots and does not ask for a key then you have an 8.1 key in bios that it recognizes.

Before you begin, here are some things you’ll need:

• PC with an Internet connection. If you don't have a reliable Internet connection, maybe you can go to a friend’s house, library, Internet café, or somewhere else with Internet.

• USB flash drive. Use a USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of available drive space. (Some 4gig flash drives are actually LESS THAN 4gigs) I recommend a 16 or larger. We recommend using a drive with nothing else on it.

-or-

• DVD. This requires a DVD burner on or connected to the PC you’re using to create the media, and a DVD player on the PC where you want to install Windows 8.1. Use a DVD with at least 4 GB of space, and we recommend using a blank DVD.

3 Posts

January 30th, 2015 13:00

Thank you for your guide.  I will use it when I receive a new hard drive for a friend's computer.  She is the third owner of the computer and the hard drive is totally dead.  She has no system image on a external drive.  I have been in IT for 30 years and have worked on thousands of Dell computers but have never run into this problem before - reinstalling Windows 8 on a bare drive with no installation media.  I have reinstalled Windows 7 many times on computers with no backup material but not Windows 8.  I have reinstalled Windows 8 on a computer but I had made a system image for that friend and that was no problem.

1 Message

March 21st, 2022 04:00

This did not work!!

No Events found!