Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2012 18:00

Inspiron 1764 Video Card Driver for Windows Server 2008 R2

Hello,

I got a laptop from work. The HD crashed recently and I had to put everything back. The laptop is bundled with Window 7, but because our company has extra licenses for Windows Server 2008 R2, that's what I put that on the new hard drive instead.

Now I am running into troubles with the video card driver.

I went to the driver's page for this laptop (Inspiron 1764):

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-1764

The first problem is it's listing only drivers for Windows 7. The second problem is that under Videos, there is no video card drivers.

I am fully up to date with Windows Update... I also tried going into Device Manager, select the video card and pick "Update Driver Software" it only say Standard VGA adapter.

At this point I run out of ideas. Can you point me to the right direction please?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 19th, 2012 20:00

No client system supports any Server OS (and vice versa).  That doesn't mean it won't work, just that Dell will not supply the drivers and it is entirely up to you to get it to work and to troubleshoot any issues you might encounter.

Since Dell does not have 2008R2 drivers for the 1764, you have two options:  use Dell's Windows 7x64 drivers or go to the device manufacturers' websites to get a specific driver.  

Are you using the Intel integrated graphics or ATI discreet graphics?  If you don't know, in Device Manager, right-click the device, Properties, Details tab, change drop down to Hardware Ids and post the VEN and DEV ID's.

4 Posts

November 20th, 2012 06:00

Flash,

I was able to determine the driver as Radeon 4330 from the method you suggested. Thanks for your help.

Hao

4 Posts

November 20th, 2012 06:00

Hi Flash,

the VEN is 1002

DEV is 9552

SUBSYS 04341028

CC 030000

Thanks for your help!

Hao

No Events found!