Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2009 20:00

Laptop requires USB floppy drive to reinstall Windows XP, can I use flash drive or flash memory?

After being attacked by several Trojans a couple of nights ago, my security and personal information may be compromised as I speak, and it looks likely that I'll have format and re-install Windows XP on my laptop for the first time. This is my first time doing so for this CLEVO D900T, which is from circa-2005 and a hand-me-down from a family member. The thing is, I'm reading in this laptop's manual that in order to re-install WIndows XP, I'll be needing a USB floppy disk drive to install what appears to the drivers for the laptop's SATA drive. Thing is, I wasn't given a USB floppy drive by my family member, thus I don't have one. I was wondering, could I instead use a flash drive or flash memory (i.e microSD card) via the laptop's card reader to load the drivers? I'm not sure if in this case it'd be best if I just re-install or format and re-install.

Also, I'm trying to make it easier for me to get my laptop back to the way it is when and if I re-install. Is there any way I can get a list of all of the programs I have installed on my PC right now, or possibly carry over all of my programs and settings for the next install? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 29th, 2009 04:00

What is a "CLEVO D900T" ?  We usually refer to the regular Dell model number on this forum.  We are not Dell employees and do not normally have access to internal designations.  We use, as an example   "Inspiron 1525" or "XPS M170", etc.

HERE is the Dell reinstallation procedures, this may help you.

14.4K Posts

March 29th, 2009 08:00

Hi DynamoMan, Why dont you use Windows Restore and take your system back to an time before you were hit by the virus. It will save you a lot of greif reistalling your operating system.

Not necessarily. If the virus has been captured in the restore save file then it will be still there. That is why it is always recommended to remove all restore points after you clean the system.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

March 29th, 2009 08:00

Hi DynamoMan, Why dont you use Windows Restore and take your system back to an time before you were hit by the virus. It will save you a lot of greif reistalling your operating system.

14.4K Posts

March 29th, 2009 09:00

Hi guys.

Since this is a 2005 system, Dynamo might use DELL´s PC Restore. I think that was what Robin meant to.

Dynamo do you see a blue bar at the top of the screen when booting the system? If so you can try Ctrl+ F11. It will restore the system to Original specs.

Hope it helps.

I do not believe this IS a Dell system. The make and model number are not is any Dell Data Base. So there more than likely is no Factory restore option even on the system .

14.4K Posts

DynamoMan

May I suggest you go HERE read the post at the top of the page and let the Great folks there see if they can get your system cleaned without the need to reinstall. Worth a shot in my bootk

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

In most cases that I've worked on, System Restore won't remove the virus.

1K Posts

Hi guys.

Since this is a 2005 system, Dynamo might use DELL´s PC Restore. I think that was what Robin meant to.

Dynamo do you see a blue bar at the top of the screen when booting the system? If so you can try Ctrl+ F11. It will restore the system to Original specs.

Hope it helps.

Note: You are going to lose all your apps and files doing this procedure. Make sure to back them up.

Also if you want to format and install clean. You do not need RAID drivers or Matrix if you only have one HHD. Go to BIOS (F2 when booting) and swicht RAID ON to Autodetect/ATA othrwise you will need one of these:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916196/en-us

1K Posts

Davet50.

You could be right. Any way I added that he does not need the RAID drivers and also a place where he can choose a USB floppy drive that may work.

CLEVO D900T = Alienware M 7700.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

March 29th, 2009 12:00

Davet50,

Good suggestion, but cracked software has infected that system with one nasty rootkit and who knows what else. Cleaning it is not an option.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19266093/19456001.aspx#19456001

14.4K Posts

March 29th, 2009 12:00

Thanks Linda.

39 Posts

March 29th, 2009 13:00

Yes, as iroc mentioned this isn't a Dell laptop, it's a Clevo/Sager laptop. In it's manual it mentions that I'll need a USB floppy drive and a floppy with the drivers to set up my SATA drive as either RAID or ATA before going on with the Windows XP re-installation. I only have one HDD in this laptop and at the moment don't instead on adding any more so i dunno if these instructions apply to me. Here's an excerpt of the instructions:

1) Press a key when you see the message "Press any key to start up/boot from the CD".

2) Press the F6 key when you see the message "Press F6 if you need to install third-party SCSI or RAID drivers".

3) When the Windows setup menu appears, press the "S" key to "Specify Additional Device".

4) Insert the ATA Driver Diskette into the external USB floppy drive.

5) Select the appropriate controller for your Windows XP operating system (either WinXP Promise SATA378 Controller or Win2000 Promise SATA378 controller) and press enter.

6) The system will now read from the floppy disk drive and then return to the Windows setup menu.

7) Press Enter to continue installing the operating system as normal.

I've also been suggested elsewhere to create a "slipstream" CD with XP SP3 in it along with all of my laptop component drivers, and that SP3 contains a generic HDD driver as well. Do you think this will work???

14.4K Posts

March 29th, 2009 16:00

IF you can find the corrrect SATA drivers then slipstreaming is the way to go. Also you would have the benifit of haveing the disk available if you were to need it again HERE is some info on how to do the slipstreaming

39 Posts

March 29th, 2009 20:00

I definitely have the SATA drivers, both on the Utilities disk that came with the laptop and on a floppy diskette which was already prepared with the drivers. (I can just use my old Dimension 4400 desktop to transfer it to a flash drive).

1K Posts

March 30th, 2009 16:00

Dynamon.

I do not think a flash drive will be read during XP install, you may try; However, the conventional way would be with USB floppy drive or slipstreaming like Davet50 adviced you above. Or you can forget the SATA drvers and in BIOS swicht from RAID ON to autodetect/ATA or ACHI autodetect (whatever is written in your system) and forget about F6.

Just a thought.

No Events found!