Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2011 08:00

Lost Dell Reinstallation CD Product Key...

Hello,

I'm in the process of activating windows on my Dell PC... I'm using the installation CD that came with it... Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition including Service Pack 2... However, I can't find my product activation key that came with it. The sticker that was once on my PC had come off over time and I do not have my paperwork that came with the PC anymore as well. The reason that I had to use the CD is because I had to totally replace the hard drive... So, there is no chance of retrieving any product key info from there... My question is if there is any way that I can request another product key from Dell or what other options do I have. I have tried several Key generators... However, they were unsuccessful... Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated... Thank you for your time in reading this...

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 3rd, 2011 08:00

Just install with the Dell reinstallation CD. You won't have a problem.

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2011 21:00

Thank you for taking the time to help me out... I did just as you suggested and it's still asking for a product key in order to "activate" windows... You see, my hard drive was replaced by another (properly prepared) hard drive and I put the reinstallation disk in and let it do it's thing. It loaded windows but, it is asking to be "activated". In order to do so, I must have a "product key" and this is something that has been lost over time. I just need to find out my options in obtaining another one which will work with my reinstallation CD. As I have stated in an earlier post, I have tried several key generators and both have been unsuccessful in producing the right "product key" necessary for me to "activate" Windows. I was wondering if there was something else that I can do... Thanks

6.4K Posts

April 3rd, 2011 23:00

It sometimes helps to know what model computer you're talking about.  Most Dell machines that were shipped with Windows XP use a BIOS signature along with code on the installation disk to automatically activate.  The trick is that you must be booting with the CD, either by making the DVD/CD drive first in the boot order or by using the F12 one time boot menu.  If you had a system installed on the hard drive and allowed the disk to autorun, the setup program would not check for the BIOS signature and will consequently ask to be activated.

If you are booting from the disk, you either cannot be using a Dell Windows installation disk, or the computer you are using is an "N" model that was shipped without an operating system installed.  Those are the only two conditions I'm aware of that would result in your experience.  Either of these cases would require using a copy of Windows that had its own COA included in the disk packaging.  Even if you had a COA on the computer case it would not work because OEM product codes cannot be activated on line.  You must instead call Microsoft directly to see if they would be willing to help you.  Without the OEM COA/product code they would probably be reluctant to help.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 7th, 2011 12:00

Unless the service tag is absent from the BIOS, Dell OEM factoryy Windows media will never ever need a COA/ activation key. It uses what is called SLP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Locked_Preinstallation

The COA you have is a legal "placeholder" and per Microsoft design is not usable to activate Windows.

There are only a few scenarios where the Dell flavor will not SLP install:

1) Service tag is wrong or absent from the BIOS

2) BIOS is not up to date, which means the SLIC entry for SLP is absent

3) Parallel install with a retail version

4) Sometimes caused by Windows security updates

1 Message

July 9th, 2011 22:00

Hello,

I'm in the process of activating windows on my Dell PC... I'm using the installation CD that came with it... Microsoft Windows XP professional including Service Pack 2... However, I can't find my product activation key that came with it. The sticker that was once on my PC had come off over time and I do not have my paperwork that came with the PC anymore as well. The reason that I had to use the CD is because I had to totally replace the hard drive... So, there is no chance of retrieving any product key info from there... My question is if there is any way that I can request another product key from Dell or what other options do I have. I have tried several Key generators... However, they were unsuccessful... Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated... Thank you for your time in reading this...

6.4K Posts

July 10th, 2011 01:00

As noted in my earlier post, installing Windows on a Dell from a disk that was shipped by Dell with the computer does not require activation.  The installation is automatically activated by a program on the disk after it verifies that the installation disk is being used on a Dell qualified for that particular operating system.  I have never been asked to activate an installation provided I have used a Dell labeled Windows installation disk on the computer with which the disk was shipped.

If the disk you have will not activate automatically you must request a replacement from Dell.  No record is kept of the certificate of authenticity that was attached to the computer, and Dell does not provide product codes independently of shipping a disk.  If you would like to request a replacement disk, and you live in the U.S., you can use this form:  Dell Replacement Disk.  If you live outside the U.S. you will need to contact Dell Tech Support for your region and ask for the disk.  Use the form provided in the link as a guide to the information you will need to supply the Dell Representative.

2.2K Posts

July 10th, 2011 10:00

Dell does not provide product codes independently of shipping a disk. 

Hi,

The replacement disks I got a few years back did not include any product key.

Have you tried calling Microsoft to activate over the phone?

The question remains... Why is it asking for this? Like Jack, I have installed XP on numerous Dells and have NEVER had it ask for the Product Key.

February 8th, 2014 10:00

I have a DELL computer bought at Amazon.com. It came with a CD of windows xp sp3 professional, but with they did not send me the serial key for the CD.

February 8th, 2014 10:00

I have a DELL  computer bought at Amazon.com.  It came with a CD of windows xp sp3  professional, but with they did not send me the serial key for the CD.

6.4K Posts

February 8th, 2014 15:00

Does the Windows installation disk bear a Dell label, or Microsoft?  If the label on the disk is Dell, the disk should automatically activate its installation without the need for further action on your part.  If it is a Microsoft label, the COA you need for activation should be on the packaging for the disk.

Dell computers that were shipped having a license for Windows XP were labeled with a sticker on a non-removable part of the chassis showing an OEM COA.  These codes cannot generally be used for on-line activation and require a phone call to Microsoft.  If this is your situation, you may need to begin with a call to Amazon to see if they have a way to help you.  If you try to call Microsoft first, they may refer you to Dell because Dell is responsible for supporting copies of Windows having a Dell label.  When you call Dell, since you did not buy the computer from them, they will most likely want you to pay for support, because this sounds like a second-hand purchase and the warranty is long expired.

If the disk you have has a Microsoft label, and there is no COA on the package that the disk shipped in, I'm not sure what Microsoft will do for you, if anything.  They may want you to pay for a new license for the installation disk.  Before calling Microsoft, be sure to inspect the computer to find the sticker having the COA.  If it is a desktop, it can be on the back panel, one of the side panels near the top of the computer, or on the top panel.  If this is a laptop, the sticker is on the bottom panel of the computer, or inside the battery compartment.  Once you have the sticker, you can use the number in your conversation with Microsoft to try to persuade them to issue you an activation key.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 9th, 2014 04:00

First model of systems?

Have you checked under the battery compartment for the COA?

Are you running the latest BIOS revision?

Second how are you installing Windows XP via the Dell BIOS or via the Windows desktop? It has been my experience that System Locked Preinstalled often doesn't work correctly if the installer is run within Windows on XP.

See legacy Windows Reinstallation Guide for details of installing via BIOS and securely wiping the hard disc before installation:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

Finally support is completely terminated for Windows XP Ends in 2 months today so I don't recommend installing it at all see:

The model numbers will help us to advise compatibility with a modern version of Windows.

No Events found!