Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2009 04:00

Media Center Problems after upgrade

hi

Just upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Premium and am now having problems using plugins with Media Center that worked fine under Vista.

I've tried to find a solution and have come up with this from another forum:

I saw this issue with earlier versions of Windows 7.

We compile MediaBrowser against the Vista DLLs (version: 6.0.6000.0) this dll has been upgraded on Windows 7.

To maintain backwards comparability Microsoft shipped a publisher policy, it redirects all usage of the old DLL to the new one in 7.

Its possible that this file is missed, if you upgrade to RTM from an earlier RC (using one of the hack methods) RC to RTM upgrade is not a supported path.

Of course if are running a version of windows 7 without media center (like windows 7 ultimate n) then these files will not exist.

To confirm that everything is kosher:

The folder: C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Policy.6.0.Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI\6.1.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35

Should contain 2 files:

• Policy.6.0.Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.config
  • Policy.6.0.Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.dll

I don't have these files so there is no backwards compatibility.

any ideas for what i need to do to get the plugins working with windows 7?

Stewart

184 Posts

November 24th, 2009 07:00

sfurini,

Thank you for contacting the Dell Community Forums.  What specific problem are you having with plugins (i.e., error message, Media Center crash, etc.)?  Also, what plugins have you tried to install?

184 Posts

November 24th, 2009 08:00

sfurini,

I'm researching this issue now.  Haven't found anything on Media Browser yet, but I did find this site for Tuner Free MCE.  It has a link to a Windows 7 download for the plugin.  Have you tried that?  If not, you may want to give it a shot and see if it helps.

4 Posts

Hi Chris

The plug ins are TunerFree MCE and Media Browser.  Both install but they are 'empty' when I open them in Media Center.  TunerFree should be able to get programme listings for bbc and itv channels for watch again programmes but it can't build them or create a cache for them.  I get this screen when i try to update:

From other things I've found on the web Windows 7 has an updated version of the file MicrosoftMediaCenter6.0.6000.0 but it is supposed to have backward capability to allow things like TunerFree to work.

I've installed Windows 7 as an upgrade using the upgrade discs from you.

Any ideas how I can get the plug ins working?

Cheers

4 Posts

Hi

That's the one I've tried without any success.  I did get this information from another forum http://community.mediabrowser.tv/topics/831/response/2302#2302  I've looked at the config file on my system and it is the same as the example given.

Thanks

Stewart

184 Posts

November 24th, 2009 09:00

sfurini,

I'm still digging, but haven't managed to turn anything else up yet.  Have you considered trying a clean install of Windows 7?  It's possible the upgrade may have been corrupted somehow.

4 Posts

November 25th, 2009 01:00

Hi

Did a complete reinstall - went back to Vista, how my machine was when it was delivered.  Installed my media center plugins and then upgraded to 7.  Plug ins work but on this upgrade my Recovery partition has vanished and dell datasafe won't work properly as a result!

Can't face another install so will live without it!

No Events found!