Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 28th, 2011 15:00

Microsoft .NET Framework error

I'm getting this Microsoft .NET Framework error. I've read some of the posts on this forum and my error report seems a little different. My Dell XPS L501X came with Windows 7. SP1 is installed. I have an HP printer, not Dell (if that relates). Please assist.

Microsoft .NET Framework

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click
Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If
you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

The system cannot find the file specified.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   at imstrayicon.MainForm.ReadRegistry()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
imstrayicon
    Assembly Version: 6.0.5830.12
    Win32 Version: 6.0.5830.12
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Dell%20Support%20Center/imstrayicon.exe
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5442 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Management
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

June 28th, 2011 20:00

It's not clear exactly what program is having trouble with .net Framework, but it looks like Dell Support Center is at least part of the problem (if not all of it) - both the reference to "system diagnostics" and the actual "imstrayicon.exe" point in that direction.

Uninstall Dell Support Center from Programs/Features and see if the error goes away.  It's not a necessary program - and is prone to being buggy, especially when it tries to update itself - but if you want it back you can download and install it again from your Drivers and Downloads - Applications section on support.dell.com.  

2 Posts

June 29th, 2011 17:00

I am getting the exact same error message.  If you look in the lower right corner of task bar the message actually shows up in a Dell Support Center Icon.  

Friday evening 6/22/11 there was a Dell Support Center update to version 3.1.5830.12, the error message starting showing up at that point after I updated.  It pops up 10-15 minutes after starting the PC.  Hit quit and it goes away until the next restart.

Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 SP1, 32 bit.  I also updated a Dell Vostro with Windows 7 SP1, 64 bit but have not received any error messages from it.

I believe the problem is with the Dell Support Center update.

I have done a "repair" on Microsoft.net Framework in "Programs & Features" and it has not helped.  Also completely removed Dell Support Center and reinstalled it but no luck either.

Need to try uninstalling Dell Support Center and leaving it off but haven't done that yet.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 29th, 2011 19:00

mil380,

You want to try...

Uninstall Dell Support Center

Rick

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2011 07:00

Uninstalled Dell Support Center, version 3.1.5830.12, and no more error message.

Microsoft.net Framework version 4.0.30319.

Any comments from Dell?  Patch needed for Dell Support Center or new version update?

5 Posts

July 17th, 2011 23:00

I have been able to reproduce this problem by running this program:

C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\imstrayicon.exe

20 seconds after I launch the above EXE, the pop-up occurs showing the unhandled exception.

The properties on my version of imstrayicon.exe show version 6.0.5830.12 with last modification date of 6/21/2011 (this is the timeframe when I started seeing the daily unhandled exception pop-up.

Not sure exactly who/how/why imstrayicon.exe gets launched. It's not every time I boot, but only after my morning boot.

Did not see anything in Task Scheduler that specifically launches imstrayicon, but did see three other recurring tasks associated with Dell Support Center in  the Task Scheduler ... perhaps one of them launches imstrayicon.

Perhaps it does not matter who/how/why it gets launched .... clearly it has an unhandled exception and that is what Dell should fix.

Anyone from Dell monitoring this thread????

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

June 28th, 2011 18:00

My suggestion is to try re-installing all the different versions of the .NET Framework; they are available on Microsoft.com

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 28th, 2011 23:00

jan-ryder,

The .net framework 2.0 error is common. Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Error After Upgrading to Windows 7

Looks like you need to disconnect the printer, uninstall the printer, then restart your computer. Updat the computer with the latest .net framework, if there are any downloads and Download Latest Java

After you install everything, restart your computer. Install the printer. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Conect the printer at this time(powered on)

Virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

5 Posts

July 17th, 2011 13:00

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

New XPS8300 running Windows 7 64-bit (one month old). Problem pops up several minutes after I boot. Started around the end of June.

Microsoft .Net Framework version 4.0.30319

All pending Windows patches installed (except those that came out on 7/12/2011).

When problem occurs, Dell Support Center icon is in the system tray.

If I manually start the Dell Support Center, there is no problem ... my guess is that the Dell Support Center is being started late at night (or early morning) by the Task Scheduler. But my PC is off at night. So, when I boot in the morning the Task Scheduler launches The Dell Support Center in a way that causes the exception to occur. I checked my Task Scheduler, and found three recurring tasks associated with Dell Support Center.

Dell ... can you comment on this problem .... it certainly does appear that the Dell Support Center is the application that is throwing the exception.

When I manually start the Dell Support Center, click the "gear" icon at top, click About .... it shows my version of Dell Support Center to be:  3.1.5830.12

3 Posts

July 18th, 2011 07:00

I tried two things before uninstalling Dell Support Center. First I went into the DSC program setting to see if there was a newer update or if I could configure the alert setting. Those options were not there. I then ran SFC and it did not report any errors to fix. I was still getting the annoying error message so I uninstalled DSC. The error message is gone.

From what I can tell, DSC is not necessary but it does have some things that are interesting and could be helpful: driver updates, system diagnostics. I would consider reinstalling if the problem was fixed.

5 Posts

July 18th, 2011 19:00

Since the problem is happening with imstrayicon.exe, and that module was written (for Dell) by PC-Doctor, I opened a ticket with PC-Doctor. I asked if they could help resolve the problem, or was my only choice to remove the Dell Support Center.  Here is their reply ...

"After researching this further, I have discovered it is a known issue; and, is being actively worked. At this point there are a couple of options available to you, without having to remove the software.

First, you could click through the error message on a daily basis. This is a result of the background daily notification check. This does not in any way affect your hardware monitoring. What it means is that you would not be receiving notification messages regarding critical system updates such as BIOS or driver updates, or approaching warranty expiration. You can still access these notifications by launching the Dell Support Center application.

Second, you could disable notifications from within the Dell Support Center application. Simply click on the gear icon; scroll to the bottom of the settings window; and, un-check the selection in the Notifications section (by default, Critical would be selected). This would preclude you from receiving the daily update notifications; and, when future updates are installed (which would contain the fix for this issue), you would need to return to the settings and re-enable the Critical notifications."

5 Posts

July 23rd, 2011 23:00

I received this (in email) from PC-Doctor support ....

"A solution has been found and made globally available. The next time the scheduled update process happens; or, you manually launch Dell Support Center; it will be automatically downloaded and applied. You should no longer see these crashes. There is a chance you might get a message about a previous instance running when clicking on the systray icon while the update process is happening. This is harmless; and, you can disregard. You should not get the message after the update has applied."

The problem no longer occurs on my computer.

Thanks go out to PC-DOCTOR.

Dell?????  Never responded to this thread .... SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!

No Events found!