Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2010 13:00

Moving from 32 bit to 64 bit Windows 7 Pro

Hello,

I am new to this forum so, if I am not in the right area please advise.  Thanks.

The issue.  I have a XPS 625, AMD Athlon X2 5600, 4GB (recently expanded to 8GB), initially came with XP Pro 32 bit.   I have recently and successfully taken it up to Windows 7 32 bit.  But, upon attempting to install Windows 7 64 bit, I encounter "CD/DVD driver not found,.........".  I have searched for a suitable driver update to the CD/DVD hardware that came with the system but, it appears that there is none available either through Dell or elsewhere.

The question.  Am I right in assuming that I am going to have to swap out the older drive with an up to date compatible model in order to get the 64 bit driver configuration that Windows 7 Pro 64 bit can work with.

Any ideas, suggestions, or solutions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

No you are not correct. The cd drive has nothing to with it. CD-dvd drivers are not separate drivers but are included in all versions of Windows. Here's the problem-- You cannot install the 64 bit version OVER the 32 bit. It is not an upgrade. You must do a custom install, reformat the drive using the win 7 disk and do a clean install of the 64 bit. Think carefully about this. With an older computer you might not want to install the 64 bit since some of your older hardware might not run on 64 bit. There really is no good reason to install the 64 bit. Peripherals are especially difficult or impossible to use with 64 bit since there are no 64 drivers.There are few programs to take advantage of 64 bit. Keep the 32 bit version until you can buy a new computer.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

The XPS 625 supports Windows 7, so I doubt you will have any issues with the hardware, unless you have added any hardware to it, including expansion cards.
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W764&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=XPS_625&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False

As for a good reason ... I'd say 8GB is a good enough reason.  You cannot use it on a 32-bit system.

As for the CD/DVD message during install ...

Do you have RAID setup on your machine?  Where did the Windows 7 media come from?  If it was downloaded or burned, try it again. 

You can always try an install from USB:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

October 7th, 2010 11:00

==>[ Do you have RAID setup on your machine?  Where did the Windows 7 media come from?  If it was downloaded or burned, try it again. ]

Hi,

Upon restart, system indicates RAID is setup on machine.

Copy of Windows 7 obtained form Amazon retail outlet.

I am following through on using a USB flash drive to effect next attempt at installation.

Thanks for your responses/suggestions.

October 12th, 2010 01:00

Issue solved.  It appears that in my particular configuration the installation program was looking for an 64 bit version of AMD AHCI compatible driver.  Once he could

see it, the installation of Win 7 Pro went off without a hitch.  Only the task of restoring all applications remains.

April 8th, 2014 08:00

Hi, 

I know I am a few years late but i have searched everywhere and extremely frustrated with the EXACT SAME ISSUE you have here. How on earth did you get Windows 7 x64 to see and accept the RAID drivers? 

Every driver I have gets rejected, and half are not even seen. In BIOS, theres no option for AHCI. As you probably know, we can only choose between IDE and AHCI. 

How did you get Windows 7 x64 to accept the RAID drivers? Can you please point me in the right direction to get a driver that works for this? Nothing I have works... not even the stuff from DELL!

:(

Thanks

Alex

April 8th, 2014 08:00

I meant to say theres only IDE and RAID as options in BIOS. AHCI doesn't seem to exist in the XPS 625

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 12th, 2014 00:00

You must ... reformat the drive using the win 7 disk.

It's not necessary to reformat the disk to clean install; if reformatting is not selected, the old Windows installation will be archived for safekeeping into a folder called Windows.old.

I clean-installed Windows 7 Home Premium onto my neighbor's corrupted XP partition without reformatting, and was able to recover all their data and import it into Windows 7.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 14th, 2014 06:00

More information about the Windows.old folder...

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/the-windows-old-folder/ 

As mentioned you cannot use DBAN, delete the partitions or format them during the setup for it to be present.

No Events found!