Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2013 00:00

Operating System Disc for Inspiron 1545

I have to replace the hard drive for my Insprion 1545.  However, it doesn't come with a Operating System Disc.  I can't install Win 7 without it.  Does anyone has any suggestion how i can install Win 7 on the new hard drive?

6.4K Posts

March 23rd, 2013 12:00

If you do not have media with a back-up of your system image, something you would have had to do when you received the computer, you will need the Windows 7 installation disk.

If you live in the U.S., there is an on-line form that you can fill out to receive an installation disk for the operating system that Dell delivered with the computer.  If the operating system for your 1545 was Windows 7, that is the installation disk you should receive:  Dell Replacement Disk.

If you live outside the U.S., you will need to contact Dell Technical Support for the region in which you live and ask them for the installation disk.  You can use the U.S. form as a guide to the information you will need in order to request the disk.

Dell provides this page of links to instructions on restoring your computer:  Restoring or Reinstalling Windows on a Dell.  For a fresh installation you will need to follow the link in Step 4: Manual Reinstallation.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 23rd, 2013 17:00

You may also see my Windows Reinstallation Guide which details the install procedure a little more than the Dell documentation:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

1 Message

October 22nd, 2013 14:00

Bluntly, if your computer is out of warranty, you're hosed.  You'll have to purchase a copy of Windows 7 or 8.  The free backup copies are for those who are still under warranty.  Otherwise, you have to find a cooperative individual with an Inspiron 1545 and get them to make a copy for you.  Good luck!

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 14:00

1 Message

January 1st, 2014 12:00

by any chance, were you able to figure this out? i'm having the same issue...going to try the links from post above. thanks!!

No Events found!