bcampbell3
1 Copper

Re: Optiplex 760 AHCI Imaging Problem

I'm not sure about the F6 part... but that is a good idea.  You've described the exact reason I posted this in the first place!

Dell has yet to comment on this....

0 Kudos
davep1
1 Copper

I was able to install XP fine using F6 during setup. You just need to make sure you choose the correct driver obviously.

I ended up logging a call on the issue. A few Dell engineers looked at it and their advise was to include the "OEMDriversPath" line in sysprep.inf file. (Previously I was manually entering the paths into HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath so as to avoid the 4096 character limit in sysprep.inf). At the same time that I added the OEMDriversPath line I also had rolled back to an earlier version of my image due to another issue (I had noticed that one of the devices in device manager was showing a resource conflict - the ISAPNP Read Data Port)

Initially I thought that adding the OEMDriversPath line had fixed the issue, but that made no sense, so I then re-created the image using my old method of just using the DevicePath registry key, and it still worked - I was able to image an Optiplex 760 in AHCI mode without any problems.

All that I can conclude from this is that there was probably something wrong with my image which was fixed when I rolled back to an older version of the image.

My advise would be to look in device manager on the machine you are creating your image from and check for anything odd. Also try using the OEMDriversPath line if you aren't already, just incase, though I doubt this is the problem.

Here's the relevent lines in my sysprep.inf so you can see a version that DOES WORK. The iaAHCI.inf file referenced is version 8.8.0.1009 of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver.

[Unattended]
    InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS
    ExtendOemPartition=0
    OEMSkipEula=Yes
    ConfirmHardware=No
    OverwriteOEMFilesOnupgrade=No
    DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
    UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes

[Sysprep]
    BuildMassStorageSection=No

[SysprepMassStorage]
    ; -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Windows drivers
    (LINES GENERATED BY RUNNING "SYSPREP.EXE -BMSD" GO HERE)
    ; Third party drivers
    ;
    ; Intel
    ;
    ; Intel(R) ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ESB2 SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller / Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller / Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller / Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf

Good Luck,

Dave

0 Kudos
Highlighted
oxfordtom
1 Nickel

When you run sysprep.exe it is supposed to populate the following registry key with storage controller device ID information:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\

If everything works, a computer that's been installed from an image should have entries for all the storage controllers referenced in sysprep.inf. I checked my imaged computer and it's missing an entry - guess which one??

I've Googled up the missing information and created a registry merge file that you can apply to your image before running sysprep.exe. This is tested working as of this morning with the Intel 8.7.0.1007 driver, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with the newer one too.

Here's the missing key (copy and paste into a text file and save with a .reg extension):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_3A02&CC_0106]
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
"Service"="iaStor"

Dave - I suspect that somehow this information has made it into your image's registry. Do you create images on an actual 760 or in a VM?

Tom

davep1
1 Copper

Hi Tom,

I use an old Compaq Deskpro PIII 1.0Ghz 🙂 Planning to migrate to a VM but haven't had time yet.

I did check that registry key when I was troubleshooting the issue and all looked OK in my case. I can only guess that the resource conflict was causing an issue. Good advice for others seeing this problem though.

Cheers,

Dave

0 Kudos
1337_wolf
1 Copper

I had the same issues ghosting to the optiplex 760 model. Ghosting worked after the following steps.

1. Disable achi in the bios.

2. "Repair" Xp your image

3. Install the dell drivers except the intel matrix storage manager and update the bios.

4. Then do what "BobTheTerrible" suggested on the technet forums located here

Do this for both the Hard drive and the DVD-RW
"First download the SATA drivers from Dell.  Download
Copy the file onto the computer somewhere like c:\dell\drivers\?

So you turn ATA support on in the BIOS for the SATA controller.
Boot into Safe Mode.
Open Device Manager.
Find the Primary IDE Channel device (there may be 3 listed, I picked the top one)
Right click - Update driver
"No at this time" - Next
"Install from a list or specific location" - Next
"Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" - Next
Click - Have Disk
Browse to the iaStor.inf file - Click Ok
Choose the  "Intel(R) ICH10D/D0 SATA AHCI Controller" - Next
Install it.
Reboot
Go into the BIOS and enable the AHCI support for the Sata.
Reboot"

5. Then login to windows and it will find "new hardware". You will have to reboot.

6. Sysprep the 760 and you are good to go.

0 Kudos
djrisken
1 Copper

I got it working without using a reg hack.

I can boot the Optiplex 760 in AHCI mode, and Latitude E-Series in AHCI/IRRT modes

I was able to get my image to boot all the above hardware scenarios using nothing but a OEMPNPDRIVERSPATH entry, a modified SysprepMassStorage section in c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf,  and a launch of c:\sysprep\sysprep.exe -mini -reseal -quiet. Here's what I did:

- My master build is WinXP Pro VL with integrated SP3, uses the ACPI Multiprocessor HAL, standard IDE controller, and was created from scratch CD on a Latitude D620

- I had no drivers or apps preinstalled other than what is natively detected or native to the OS. OS Security updates were also added.

- I copied my custom sysprep folder structure to C:\sysprep so that my c:\sysprep\syprep.inf is already in place BEFORE I launch c:\sysprep\sysprep.exe. Sysprep.exe will only read your sysprep.inf when it is pre-copied to c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf

- my 'OEMPNPDriversPath=' line already had an entry, ";drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo;"  this would be the equivalent of c:\drivers\intelchipsetaudiovideo

- I copied the SATA controllers from Dell's 760 SATA XP driver download package into C:\drivers\intelchipsetaudiovideo (don't make the mistake of downloading the default Vista drivers).

- the [SysprepMassStorage] section in my c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf needed the following additions:

;SATA AHCI Controllers

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iaahci.inf

;SATA RAID or IRRT Controllers

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104=%SystemDrive%\drivers\IntelChipsetAudioVideo\iastor.inf

- I ran c:\sysprep\syprep.exe -mini -reseal -quiet

- I created my ghost image, then successfully loaded and booted the image on a 760 running in AHCI mode

0 Kudos
mikeg35
1 Copper

I ran into this trying to install our standard XP SP3 image on a group of new Optiplex 760s.  FIrst thing was that Bart blue screened because AHCI was set in BIOS from the factory.  Here's what I did, from my notes.  The reference to a folder "\d\o\ich10ahci" is a folder in the installed image to which the files in the Intel Matrix Storage Driver (downloaded from Intel) have been extracted.  The version of the driver for the Optiplex 760 is

English: IATA89ENU.exe Download
 Ver:8.9.0.1023 Date:7/17/2009 Size:6935 (KB)

and icludes the following files for 32 bit XP:

06/15/2009  07:22 AM             8,654 iaAHCI.cat
06/04/2009  06:33 PM             8,773 iaAHCI.inf
06/15/2009  07:52 AM             7,962 iaStor.cat
06/04/2009  06:33 PM             7,629 iaStor.inf
06/04/2009  06:43 PM           330,264 IaStor.sys
06/04/2009  06:33 PM             5,526 TXTSETUP.OEM

BIOS settings

Change these before booting to Bartpe

Remove floppy drive from boot device sequence   

Change boot device sequence to DVD, then HDD

Change SATA Operation from AHCI to ATA, or Bart blue screens.

[Install the image]

Post-Image configuration

Install AHCI drivers

The SATA operation setting must be set to ATA in order to boot both the BartPe and imaged Windows, because neither contains AHCI drivers. After the PC has been imaged, installing the AHCI drivers may provide a performance boost due to native command queuing support.

To install the drivers
  • Locate “Intel® ICH10 Family 4 port serial ATA storage controller 1” in device manager’s IDE ATA/ATAPI controller section.
  • Right click on the controller and click Update Driver from the context menu. When the Hardware Update Wizard appears, click “No, not this time” and click Next
  • Click “Install from a list or specific location” then click Next.
  • Click “Don’t search, I will choose driver to install” and click Next.
  • Click “Have disk” and browse to \d\o\ich10ahci, the location of the ICH10 SATA AHCI Controller drivers.
  • Click iaStor.inf, then click OK
  • From the list of drivers, click ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI controller and click Next.
  • Click Next on the warning message.
  • Click Finish, then click Yes when asked to restart.
  • When the machine is booting, go into setup and change SATA Operation from ATA to AHCI.

0 Kudos