Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2009 12:00

PLEASE help me!!!! clean windows xp install on dell xps 400

Hello all! :emotion-11:  I am sure all can tell that i am a newby! My friend got sick of his dell xps 400 and he gave it to me to see if i could fix it ..... well I fixed it and my friend let me have it! I am very happy and thrilled to have a new computer but I must say my last computer i built myself and it is very old this dell is the first desktop computer that I have ever seen without a floppy drive! Well back to my issue.... I have looked all over this site and I haven't seen my exact problem.... my friend gave me all the cd's that came with the system but my issue is not being able to do a clean install of windows xp when I put the cd in the cd drive and turn system on it starts to go into set up mode but then I get a screen which is blue (but not the scary BSOD) that says that the cd drive is not recongnised. The harddrives are set up as RAID configuration...  Now from what i remember about building my first computer I know that I need a boot disc with drivers to "talk to the cd drive" but how is this done? do I need to get rid of the RAID configuration? If anyone can point me in the right direction with this one I will greatly appreciate it

Thanks

• 

17K Posts

March 13th, 2009 08:00

dj_n3a,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

No need to load cdrom drivers on new systems. You will need to boot into the bios by pressing F2 while booting up. Check to see if the bios sees the cdrom. You may also need to open the system and maybe reseat the cables to the cdrom. If that does not work replace the cdrom drive.

3 Posts

March 13th, 2009 12:00

Thank-you Jesse I will try reseating the cables but the system does read the cd drive in the bios but for some reason it always stalls and says that it doesn't recongnise the drive..... I have read many post on this forum and I have a feeling that it has something to do with the harddrives on the system being set up as RAID.... I don't know much about RAID except that it makes 2 harddrives look like 1 to the system.... Man back to the ole drawing board! thank's again!

No Events found!