Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2016 14:00

Precision M4500 - Unable to reload Windows 7 Professional

Intel I7 CPU - Original problem was BIOS did not detect the SATA drive. I could access the drive on another computer and see three partitions under ‘Disk Management’. I formatted the Primary Partition on another computer as NTFS. BIOS now sees the SATA drive and I see three partitions when I try to load Windows. Error – “Windows cannot be installed on this drive. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. Default BIOS sets drive to RAID. AHCI gives same results. Same error when USB drive with Windows loaded on it is selected as target for installation.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 28th, 2016 13:00

The Windows 7 bootable USB needs to be FAT32 formatted and setup for the GPT partition scheme using the likes of Rufus. See here for details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg8Oebhc3EI&list=PL1RkaknDn7v82tfEmxGgycwJJvJ0xGoqZ&index=2

It also has to be 64 Bit. 32 Bit is not supported with GPT.

March 28th, 2016 17:00

I am really confused. Why can't I just use the Windows 7 Professional DVD that came with the computer to reinstall the software? I managed to get another hard drive to load Windows but I don't remember what options I changed and I reformatted. Can I change my SATA type to ATA and use the DVD?

No Events found!