Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2007 12:00

Problem with ATI Radeon X 1300 & Vista

I received my Dell Dimension E521 yesterday. It comes with an ATI Radeon X 1300 graphics card and there seems to be an issue with the driver. Certain actions lead to the screen blacking out for a little more than a second. After this the normal image comes back to life. This definitely seems to be a driver issue as it doesn't happen when I used the standard VGA driver in safe mode for instance. One particular action that leads to the blackout is if you double-click the 'safely remove hardware' icon in the system tray.

I had an online chat session with a Dell technical agent who assured me that this was normal activity but I can safely say that it isn't.

Any ideas?

Peter

2.4K Posts

hi

you can read the Release Notes

yes I think so

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/catalyst_71_vista.html

Ok thank you very much for your help. Will give this a try and let you know!

Cheers

Thanks a lot. Is that definitely an updated one that resolves the issue?

2.4K Posts

Hi

Windows Vista (32 bit)
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/vista32/common-vista32.html

Windows Vista (64 bit)
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/vista64/common-vista64.html

I was beginning to think I was the only one having the issue. Thanks for your reply. Any ideas whether ATi are planning on releasing a new driver for it?

83 Posts

If it makes you feel any better I have the same card and my machine does the same thing. I think it is annoyance but it doesn't seem to cause any problems.

February 8th, 2007 17:00

No such luck I'm afraid! Loaded drivers as suggested but the problem persists :-(

March 2nd, 2007 04:00

The problem is not limited to Vista... I have Win XP Media Center on the E521 with the X1300 card and the same thing happened... mine would flash off and on so often it was hard to do anything... for a while I set the resolution to 1024*768 and it stopped... but I have a widescreen so that res made things look kinda smooshy (for lack of a better word).  I was sent a new monitor, and then a new system... encountered the same problems... someone on this forum gave me a better work-around - I'm now using the analog cable (blue) to plug my monitor into my comp... problem solved... too bad I can't use the digital cable... that'd be nice lol.

Good luck with yours... I have yet another tower on the way to try to fix my blue screen problem... you got it... I'm not even using Vista yet... I ordered my system Dec 8 and I'm yet to recieve one that works... 3 towers, 2 monitors, and 2 sets of speakers later... here's to hoping your problem gets solved!

March 2nd, 2007 05:00

Nice to know I'm not the only one having a problem with this (in funny kind of way!). There has been a new driver posted on the ATi site for 21 Feb 07. I updated to it last night and hey presto!.....still doesn't work :-(
No Events found!