Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 3rd, 2007 17:00

Problem with Screen and Locking Session on Inspiron 1501

I have an Inspiron 1501 model that was recently purchased. It came with Windows Vista Basic. After having trouble and problems with Vista, plus the fact that I did not like Vista all that much anyway (we'll try again after SP1); I downgraded down to homey Windows XP Pro SP2. That said, I used my drivers disks to install all the drivers for my hardware. Everything is great on that end. Then I noticed one little bug, more of an annoyance than anything more. In the Control Panel, I have it set so that when I close my lid, "Nothing Happens". Now, when I am logged on (I do not use Fast User Switching or the Welcome screen because I am the only user on my machine), and I shut my lid and open it again a little later, everything is perfect. Then came where I went downstairs for a while; and didn't want anybody touching my machine. So; I locked my session. Thus, I also shut my lid. I opened it later only to find that my resolution has changed from 1280x800 to 800x600. So, I logged on, where an ATI message briefly appeared for maybe 2 seconds, then disappeared. It didn't stick around long enough for me to read, but I made out that "You system's resolution has changed..." was included in the dialog message. So, I went into my Display Settings and changed it back to 1280x800. Oddly, how I did it was the following. The slider was still on 1280x800. But, obviously, the resolution was 800x600. Yet, the slider was still positioned on the correct setting. I had to move back one setting (to 1280x768), hit apply, then set it back to 1280x800 and hit OK to get my native resolution back. Now this problem ONLY happens when I lock my session, or log off completely. This does not happen when I shut my lid when I am still logged on or when my session is not locked. I personally have never seen this before, in all my years as a PC technician. Hopefully someone here can help me solve my case. Thanks in advance, Pete.

1.1K Posts

November 6th, 2007 18:00

metallicamaster3:

Thank you for posting your message at the Dell Community Forums.

Take a look at the following thread and see if it helps:

Link.

Regards,

November 6th, 2007 20:00

That solution did not work for me. The problem still persists.

December 10th, 2007 14:00

Hi there im not sure if im in the right place but however in d some help.. When i turn on my Inspiron 1501 the following appears on a black screen: Warning: Battery cannot be identified. System will be unable to charge battery. Press any key to continue.F2 two times to enter set up.
F12 and any key to enter Boot Menu.      But i cannot find any solution to this problem, hope someone can help..

December 10th, 2007 20:00

Try taking the battery out and putting it back in. And/or try taking the battery out completely and just run the laptop on AC power. Then put the battery back in. Hope this helps.

December 11th, 2007 16:00

Thanks for the reply, I did as you suggested but unfortunately its still the same, its definitely a problem with the battery as on the ac power it doesn't appear when i switch it on.
No Events found!