Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 31st, 2008 14:00

Problems again

my friend's computer is win xp. she did the service pack 3 yesterday, rebooted and all worked fine. She shut it down and started it later that day, now all she gets is the screen asking if she wants safe mode, safe mode with networking, boot windows normally etc. no matter what choice you make the computer reboots and loads to this screen. do you think the HD went bad or was it the windows update? what can be done besides reformat? she has alot of files she has not saved. i tried to get into safe mode to do a system restore, but it will not go anywhere else.

97 Posts

Yeah, no way to get into system restore. i tried everything. I hope microsoft knows the service pack is causing problems. i will not do it on mine either. Thanks for the info. Happy New Year.

35 Posts

A friend I work with had the same problem after installing the service pack and warned me not to install it on mine. You maybe able to use system restore and go back to a date before you installed the service pack. If thats not possible you may have to do a factory re-image but she will lose all her info. Welcome to Dell ***.. Sorry

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

December 31st, 2008 15:00

Gosh, Deb, you are a busy person working on your own computer, your daughter's computer, and your friend's! 

Did your friend follow the pre-installation instructions?

and follow the post-installation tips?

37 Posts

December 31st, 2008 16:00

Go figure, one poster makes a rude remark about Dell-Welcome to Dell ***, (if this is not a dig to Dell I apologize, but it sure seems like it) the OP wonders if Microsoft knows of the problem their service pack is causing, and it turns out it may be user error, ha!  I have to say I love it, does anyone read instructions anymore?

97 Posts

January 1st, 2009 07:00

But after the windows update was completed, she restarted her computer and everything was working fine. She went into her email etc. It was only after it was shut down completely that the problem started. That is when the screen came up with the choices of safe mode, safe mode with networking, boot windows normally.  if it had been the update, it would not have started after the restart, correct?

97 Posts

It only said to close open programs. of course it did suggest backing up the computer which was not done. but open programs were closed.

66 Posts

Hello.

It must be due to some file corruption.

If you have the cds for the OS then try repair reistall once. I really dont know if its going to work because you have a new service pack but its worth giving a try rather than loosing all the files in the computer.

Thanks and Regards.

Copmu101.

97 Posts

January 1st, 2009 08:00

Also, the only CD's she has are the restore and recovery ones that came with her HP computer. I have a Win XP cd for an old computer of mine, would that work for a repair?

97 Posts

January 1st, 2009 08:00

I just remembered something she told me.  After she restarted and went into her mail she went to shut down the computer and it was taking along time so she hit the power button to shut it down. Could that have caused a problem?

97 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 06:00

i don't know what the heck you are talking about. did you celebrate too much yesterday? hahaha

No Events found!