Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2012 04:00

Problems starting up :-(

Hi there, 

Our computer crashed out and now has problems getting past the dell start up page. It keeps resetting itself back to the dell screen. Any help would be much appreciated.

1.8K Posts

October 14th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

You can run a test on system hardware following the steps below to ensure it is working perfectly fine:

• Please restart the system.
  • As soon as you see the blue Dell logo, start tapping the ‘F12’ key which is at the top of the keyboard.

Note: If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.

• After we have pressed ‘F12’ key then a new window will appear. Now highlight the “Boot to utility partition” and press ‘Enter’.
  • After you tap ‘F12’ key, a new window would appear in front of you. Use the 'Down' arrow key to highlight the option “Diagnostics”

Note: (If Boot to the Utility partition option is not there then you will have a “Diagnostics” option to select which starts the diagnostics directly.)

Make a note of the error codes or messages, if any.

Another step you can try is to use your system in safe mode with networking and see if the issue still persists:

• Restart the computer.
  • Tap the F8 key on the keyboard during the boot process until you see the Windows Advanced Options Menu on the screen.
  • Select “Safe Mode with Networking” from the menu using the arrow keys on the keyboard and then press the key.
  • Select the user account at the log in screen.
  • Try using your computer and see if it works.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply with the findings.

October 15th, 2012 10:00

Hi Chinmay,

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. We tried everything you suggested but unfortunately nothing worked. We did the diagnostics test and it came up with the following:

Error Code 0f00:137B

msg DVDRW-1-Drive media missing

It seems to be looking for something that isn't there. We can't get to safe mode as it doesn't work when restarting the computer. Any help will be greatly appreciated before we contact Dell. Many thanks again and also for the friends request. I'll add you soon :-)

Kindest Regards,

Tracey

1.8K Posts

October 17th, 2012 08:00

Hi, 

Error Code 0f00:137B simply means that the media (CD/DVD) was missing from the CD/DVD drive, when you ran the test on your computer. Most likely it seems to be an issue with the Operating system of your computer and you may need to reinstall Operating system. In order to assist you in a better way, I need to know the system model and the Operating system on your computer. If you can private message me the Service Tag of your computer, it will be easier for me to access the system details and specifications.

No Events found!