Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2008 18:00

Problems updating Windows XP Home Edition 2002 after re-loading it on Dimension 4550

I recently had to reformat my 320gb drive and reload Windows XP Home Edition 2002 with hopes of updating it to SP2 or SP3.

MS Windows update is set to Auto and when I download the suggested first updates (Background Intelligent Transfer Service 2.0 (BITS) and winHTTP 5.0 they seem to download fine.  When i install them they fail the install.

It seems that i need to do these updates before i can do any others.  Has anyone experienced problems with Dell systems and Windows XP Home 2002 like this ?  Can anyone suggest anything ?  I have spent a lot of time on the MS Update website trying to resolve this issue but get the feeling it is a Dell issue, not Microsoft.

Appreciate any ideas/suggestions anyone may have.  My Dimension 4550 may soon be in the lake if i can't resolve this issue soon.

Thanks for any help !

UpDate: July 24/2008:  Have tried numerous MS fixes and downloaded updates from MS Update will not install.  Appears to perhaps be the 'windows installer'.  Updates are found for my PC so scans are working but download and install still does not - progress monitor shows no download and install progress, stays at zero for hours.

Any new ideas? 

Thanks!  (Desparate user!)

Message Edited by user1516 on 07-24-2008 02:57 PM

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 23rd, 2008 18:00

Make sure to validate Windows here.

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

Also try the Windows Installer link for Non-Vista machines from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

July 23rd, 2008 19:00

download and run dial a fix, you can get it here, http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#Mirrors.2Fdownload_locations.2C_and_articles

If you installed sp1 without instaling anti-virus protection the amount of time needed online to infect the system is between 1 -4 minutes, the sp1 edition has no ms firewall and no protection. The reason updates may fail in this case is the prevention of updates by numerous trojan infections.

9 Posts

July 24th, 2008 13:00

Thanks for the great information.  I did validate Windows as you recommended and then re-registered the Windows Update dll's.  I was missing one (Wuaueng1.dll) and i found it on the internet and placed it in the Windows System32 folder and then re-registered it with success.

Then tried to run Windows Update again and it didn't work, behaving the same as before.

My last hope is the 315346 article and 'fix'.  I hope it works or i don't know what i'll do next.

Thanks again for your help.:smileyhappy:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 24th, 2008 20:00

Last resort is do a repair installation or a clean installation.
No Events found!