Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2013 09:00

Re-install Windows 7 and keep Microsoft Office 2007

I have an Alienware m15x that I bought from Dell in 2009. I customized my order when I bought it so it came with Microsoft Office pre-installed. Its been getting sluggish and I got hijacked by some adware virus due to my carelessness so rather than figure out how to get rid of it and clean my system I've decided to start fresh and re-install Windows 7. Is Office backed up in my restore partition so if I restore it, Office will be re-installed too?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 28th, 2013 10:00

Your Microsoft Office 2007 won't be backed up on the factory image. You should have got a Microsoft Product Identity card with your system which contains your 25 digit product key. You can use this to download an installer from Microsoft and for product activation. For more information including the download link see my wiki Download Microsoft Office.

If you do not have your MPI card then run Belarc Advisor on your old installation. This utility will tell you your Microsoft Office 2007 product key.

For optimal performance follow my Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 28th, 2013 11:00

Yes you will be able to reinstall it and activate it on the same system after clean installation of Windows 7.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2013 11:00

Silly me. Your post reminded me I actually have an Office 2007 installation CD that came with my system. I take it the product code is already registered with my mother board so after my reset I can pop in the disk and reinstall it? And thanks for the clean install guide by the way

4 Posts

December 28th, 2013 12:00

Thanks for the help!

2.5K Posts

December 28th, 2013 15:00

I will admit that I did my test on office 2013, not office 2007, therefore I may be wrong, but, Belarc does not/is not unable to recover all keys. as an example, as an example on my PC I have Microsoft - Windows 7 Ultimate (x64), recovered key is correct, however it could not recover the key for Microsoft - Office Professional Plus 2013. The key after the product name, example 00216-00000-00000-AA614, is not key you need, for one thing it is only 20 characters long and all Microsoft product keys are 25 characters long.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 28th, 2013 16:00

Neither Belarc nor MJB will return my 2013 key ... it may be because 2013 hides the key OR that I'm using the Office 365 version, for which licensing for my installations is managed online - there may simply be no local "key" to return.  A non-Office 365 installation of 2013 may have a local key that is returned by these programs.

I know they work for 2007 ... I cannot say for sure on 2010, but since licensing for 2010 is similar to 2007, I'd guess the key would be returned by either of these programs.

2.5K Posts

December 28th, 2013 18:00

No, I tried on Microsoft Office 2013, (not Office 365), retail license - no key is returned, See below Software Licenses (partial list)......... Microsoft - flight simulator 83884-104-7212475-70861...... Microsoft - Internet Explorer 00426-065-0146901-86198 (Key: XXXXX_XXXXX_XXXXX_XXXXX) I overwrote the Key, since the Internet Explorer key is also the Windows 7 key...... Microsoft - Office Professional Plus 2013 00216-00000-00000-AA614 ....... Microsoft - PowerShell 89383-100-0001260-04309 ..............This is from a cut and paste using Belarc on my PC

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 28th, 2013 20:00

Belarc Advisor works for retail/OEM Office and Visio 2007 and also Office and Visio 2010. It also works for retail Windows Vista and 7 but for OEM version gives the Dell SLP key and not the key on the COA. So with respect to the original question its fine and isn't needed as the product key will be in the boxed media.

I haven't tested Office 2013 with it as I seen almost no compelling reason to migrate from Office 2010 to 2013 except for the ability to open pdf in Word. The licensing/pricing also seemed a lot worse to me. Moreover if Office 2013 is shipped with a new Dell, the system will likely come only with a MPI card which can easily get misplaced and then that's one less way of recovering a product key making it even worse than the Office 2010 OEM version. Dell the OEM will include the product key as software support which is usually only a limited period of time. If the user loses their product key after that time, they are charged for a new license which isn't cheap. This is a common problem we have brought up a few times with Office 2010.

It appears to work with Windows 8.0/8.1 retail but not sure if it yields the correct OEM embedded product key.

Microsoft seem to be doing extremely well these days making OEM Windows and Office more difficult to install. In an ideal world, product keys for both Office and Windows should be stored/linked to a Microsoft Account and installation media be downloadable with the latest service pack included regardless if OEM or Retail. Deployment of Windows 8 Service Pack 1 or 8.1 was awful as they locked Windows 8 keys out from Windows 8.1 downloaders and installation media.

4 Posts

December 29th, 2013 09:00

Microsoft seem to be doing extremely well these days making OEM Windows and Office more difficult to install. In an ideal world, product keys for both Office and Windows should be stored/linked to a Microsoft Account and installation media be downloadable with the latest service pack included regardless if OEM or Retail. Deployment of Windows 8 Service Pack 1 or 8.1 was awful as they locked Windows 8 keys out from Windows 8.1 downloaders and installation media.

In an ideal world, I wouldn't have even had to ask this question because I could be using free software like LibreOffice or Linux where product keys don't exist. Unfortunately, we live in the Microsoft monopoly world where even their train wreck Windows 8 OS is just accepted and used 

Rant aside, I did my reset using alienware respawn and I'm happy with the results. I seem to have reclaimed about half a gig of ram and my system is pretty quick. I decided against the clean install because the alienware install lacks a lot of bloat like McAfee but includes things I need like the alienware command center and dell's data safe backup and driver manager. Also, Office was installed with my backup and all I had to do was put in the 25 character product key on the back of my Office CD. Thank you for your help

No Events found!