Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

June 18th, 2009 06:00

Reinstall original OS

I have Dell latitude D620 with original  Windows XP professional - OS. How can I reinstall original OS from my HDD (without CD) the same first time was install. In my HDD still have one partition not visible. My HDD never formated or Fdisk.

• 

16.7K Posts

June 18th, 2009 07:00

thkhan,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

The other partion is the diagnostics. You would need a Windows disk to reinstall the OS.

3.7K Posts

June 18th, 2009 08:00

Hi thkhanh, Your manual is HERE. You can use this online form HERE to order an set of backup disc if you live in the US. However, if you live outside the US, then you will have to contact dell support in your country. Also HERE is an support journal on how to get your drivers on, and in what order.

14 Posts

June 21st, 2009 09:00

Robin Is there a DELL page for Latitude C610 to reinstall Windows 2000 Professional or XP similar to what you referred to in this discussion?

My machine has cratered after 7 years of use (falt of mine, hardware is fine) and I am forced to either buy the 2000 or XP disks to reinstall OS. What to do after this I hope to learn from this forum as I want to use this as a learning excersises. I do not have the original disks due to frequent moving/packing/unpacking.

If all fails I'll give it to a shop to do it for me. :-)

I found this

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=6CD869BE833F50B6E040AE0AB6E14157&docid=339949

but it assumes I have XP on my machine and that I can get into it.

3.7K Posts

June 22nd, 2009 12:00

My machine has cratered after 7 years of use (falt of mine, hardware is fine) and I am forced to either buy the 2000 or XP disks to reinstall OS. What to do after this I hope to learn from this forum as I want to use this as a learning excersises. I do not have the original disks due to frequent moving/packing/unpacking.

Hi Shakespear2, Dell will only issuse you with disks that came with your system, after 7 years, I would put that system to sleep and buy another. This journal HERE is like the other one, but it does not matter what the Op is, the method is the same. HERE is an journal for your drivers.

14 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 01:00

Hi Robin

Thanks for the links.

I have been toying with the idea of buying new but the problem I have is that one, I have 2 of these machines. Two, most of what I do is in the Internet (browsing). Occasionally I use it to watch DVD's, but that is about it.

However a new toy is always nicer to play with :emotion-2:, so maybe .....

No Events found!