Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2009 01:00

Reinstallation of O/S after Malware Attack..Need help!!!

I hope someone can help me out on this one. First of all this is concerning a Studio 1535 laptop with Windows vista home premium 64 bit O/S preinstalled. My situation is this... I had a malware program that caused some damage to the windows system files and as a result I received the blue screen of death at startup. I was wanting to upgrade to windows vista ultimate (32 bit version is all I could afford at the time) so I bought the full program (not from Dell) and did a clean install. I guess my inexperience with vista caused me to delete all the partisions that were on drive to begin with. I was unaware at the time there was special settings in the bios for a "ahci driver and some sort of flash cache" which is different from the sata drives on my Dell Desktop. The media control buttons at the top of the keyboard work except for the disc eject. I loaded the Quickset app. but did not resolve my problem. I can't find any installation software for the HDD (Seagate Corsair 250 GB 5400 RPM) drive on the net. I am having major problems with drivers and I cannot get the SoundBlaster Audigy HD software to install because I can't find the audio drivers for the integrated sound card on the motherboard from the Dell website. My fingerprint scanner keeps crashing to the point where the system won't recognize the hardware anymore. I tried to downgrade to XP Professional, I guess the drivers for my laptop don't exist for XP, or I can't find all of them. The tech support @ Dell is of little help because I didn't buy the vista ultimate upgrade from them...

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 16th, 2009 04:00

First, the two Dell partitions on the hard drive were a Recovery Partition that would allow you to completely reinstall back to the original factory installation and the second partiton was a diagnostic partition.  These partitions, if deleted or corrupted are not recoverable and there are no downloads to restore them. 

The Dell downloads will have whatever drivers are available for that specific model.  HERE is the Vista 32 bit downloads.   And HERE is the Dell reinstallation procedures.  Basically, the installation procedure is (1) Install Windows (Vista)) (2) Install Intel chipset drivers (3) Install Device Drivers such as sound, video, etc.    Follow the manual install procedures and see what steps you may have missed.  One of the most often missed install is the Chipset Drivers and if they are missed many devices will either not install or will not work correctly. 

You may want to use the Dell supplied Vista 64 bit installation DVD and drivers disc and get the PC back to the original configuration (and Dell will talk to you then).  Once you get it back up you can then decide if you really want to do a complete reformat the hard drive and install the 32 bit Vista.

No Events found!