Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CL

December 15th, 2007 17:00

[SOLVED] Hibernate missing after Win xp reinstall

Hi,
I just reinstalled Win XP Home SP2 and all the drivers for Inspiron 640M laptop.  After doing so, the Hibernate option disappeared when I click Start, click Turn off computer, and looking at the menu that pops up.  However, when I right click on any part of my desktop, and get the Display Properties message box, then click on Screen Saver Tab, then Power... to bring up another message box by the title of: Power Options Properties, and then go to the Hibernate Tab and click on Enable Hibernate, then I see the Hibernate option ONLY in the Power Options Properties message box under Power Schemes Tab, BUT not when I go to Start, then click Turn off Computer and the message box. 

I have restarted the computer a number of times since enabling Hibernate as above, but the Bibernate option fails to come up when I click Start, then click Turn off computer.  I used the Win XP reinstallation CD that Dell sent.  I also have Dell Quickset installed.  I installed all drivers correctly, including NSS, Chipset, Video etc.  Any ideas on how I can get the Hibernate back would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Message Edited by Calla Lily on 12-15-2007 11:42 AM

Message Edited by Calla Lily on 12-18-2007 01:46 PM

2 Intern

• 

596 Posts

December 16th, 2007 15:00

Calla Lily, check out tis link go to #4 and see if this helps. http://freepctech.com/pc/xp/xp00051.shtml

243 Posts

December 18th, 2007 18:00

Hi,
Thanks for the link.  Yes, I did see the Hibernate when I pressed the shift key.  But any way of getting the Hibernate in the Turn off computer menu?  Also, my Function key together with Hibernate does not work either.  On my laptop, I can press the Fn key together with another key that is labled as Hibernate or Standby.  Standby works, but not the key for Hibernate.  Any ideas?  Thanks,

243 Posts

December 18th, 2007 19:00

Hi,
I did some searching around the net and found the following article on Microsoft's site for anyone  having the same issue.  It seems Microsoft is aware of the problem, and unless you want the problem fixed quick, they recommend waiting for the next Hot fix. 

9 Posts

May 11th, 2008 16:00

Try clicking start, type in cmd in the search bar at the bottom, right click on the result for cmd at the top and click on Run as Administrator. Then, type

powercfg -h on

and press enter. Reboot and see if it comes back.

No Events found!