Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2006 00:00

Sound Blaster XF-I XtremeMusic Card stops being recognized by system.

I've been having a problem with the sound for a few months now and Dell can not resolve, hopfully someone can help me or guide me in the right direction. When starting the computer, the Windows start up sound is heard. I'll check the the sound card though the Control Panel and it is recognized. As soon as I try to play a CD or a stored music file, the error window appears, " unable to playback audio. No sound device was detected on your system". I'll recheck in Control Panel, the sound card is not recognized but the Windows sound is still present. Dell suggested that the card may have been defective, so a new one was sent. After replacing the card, the trouble is still present. I purchased the system in April, '06 and have had the trouble since Aug.. Dell also had me reformat the hard drive and re-install Windows at one point, it worked for awhile. 
I have now un-installed Nero 7and 'Windows media Player', the only player is 'Media Center', with only that one installed, the sound card will function but as soon as I try to play from anothe rsource, it fails. I also noticed that if I try to use " Creative Media Source" to play a song, the sound card is no longer available and I have to restart my PC in order for the sound card to be recognized. It seems that I can only have one media program installed in order for the sound card to function? Dell has installed XP Media Center Version 2002, service pack 2, could there be a glitch in this software? Why the latest version, Windows Media Version 2005? When I check in device manager, there is no fault marking against Creative SB X-FI.
Any help is greatly appreciated,
Tonys264

Operating System: Windows XP
Creative Model Number: sbo467
Computer Brand/Model: Dell / XPS 600
Processor/CPU: Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
Memory: 2.00GB
BIOS Type/Revision: REV. A06
System Board/Chipset: ACPI

14.4K Posts

October 25th, 2006 00:00

when you go into device manager under     sound video and game controllers what shows up?

this sounds like some type of driver issues....

did you disable the onboard sound in the Bios if this applies....

7 Posts

October 25th, 2006 23:00

thanks for the reply. in device manager, the SB card is present but through control panel, the sound card is not recognized. Also, I do get sond when I start Windows and when I shut down? On board sound has been disabled. I have gone through everything possible with Dell's help desk but they can't seem to get to a solution. I see that you have the same card and running Windows XP Media Center, Creative is telling me that the SB card may not be supported by Media Center. Also Dell loaded verison 2002, Media center is up to 2005, I don't understand that either.

Message Edited by Tonys264 on 10-25-2006 07:33 PM

Message Edited by Tonys264 on 10-25-2006 07:33 PM

No Events found!