Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2008 17:00

Task mgr greyed out

Hi, my taskmanager is greyed out and cannot be launched to use. when I hit ctrl alt del, it launches the box with all other option (shutdown, logoff, etc except the button for task manager is greyed out and it also does this from the taskbar. In my services it says it is running. How can I fix this. BTW, I have just recover from a serious Trojan fake alert attack and have that all cleaned up thanks to  bugbatter :smileyvery-happy: and his patience and advice. It was fine before that.  Thanks in advance

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 28th, 2008 21:00

Sounds like your not on an administrator account, try again in an administrator account?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 29th, 2008 11:00

You could try reinserting your xp disc and repairing windows?

37 Posts

April 29th, 2008 11:00

:smileyhappy:I don't have any other accounts set up, that I know of I have a guest account available but it is off.  I did try again after turning guest account off but still task mgr grayed out. Are their any registry changes the malware attack could have made I need to change back?

1 Message

April 29th, 2008 13:00

the http://www.digitalsupporttech.com maybe can solve your problem

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

April 29th, 2008 15:00

BCB:  Google might be your friend here - it may be a simple group policy setting (see first hit from software tips and tricks):

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4DMUS_enUS216US216&q=task+manager+greyed+out

Sounds like the malware specifically targeted your permissions or settings in order to protect itself, but just removing the malware didn't reset everything quite back to normal.

37 Posts

April 30th, 2008 02:00

THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU.! THAT WORKED LIKE A DREAM. I POSTED THIS PROBLEM ON SEVERAL TECH SITES AND NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT USING GOOGLE. I WILL NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN.:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

April 30th, 2008 14:00

:smileyhappy:

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

May 1st, 2008 12:00

Brenda, you still have an open thread on the HijackThis Board. We were not finished with that.
No Events found!