Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2009 04:00

Trying to reinstall Windows XP Pro and Dell MediaDirect - accidentally deleted the E: drive whilst formatting hard drive!

I decided to reinstall everything on my Inspiron 630m laptop.

Rather than looking for instructions I stupidly tried to do it manually by formatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows XP Pro myself. Realising I needed to install Dell MediaDirect, to return my computer to how it was when I first purchased it, I tried to partition the hard drive according to a leaflet that came with the disc.

To cut a long story short, I have deleted the drive that was called E: (FAT). I now can't install the Dell MediaDirect software.

I'm an idiot, I know, but I need some help (with my laptop that is - my inability not to rush into things I will address myself)

Is there anything I can do to get my laptop back to the factory settings that is was set up as when I first purchased it?

Many thanks,

Andy

Thank you Jesse for your advice.

How do I reformat the drive?

The only way I know is by rebooting from the Windows XP installation CD. I have tried rebooting from the CD drive with the Dell MediaDirect CD and nothing happens - it just restarts windows.

• 

17K Posts

andrewstart,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

If you deleted the partition you cannot get it back to the way it was shipped. You will need reformat and install MediaDirect first and then you will have an option to install WinXP.

1.7K Posts

January 19th, 2009 12:00

Here are the instructions for reinstalling Dell Media Direct 3.0 and 3.3.  If you have a different version the steps will be slightly different, but these instructions should still work.

4.6K Posts

January 19th, 2009 23:00

How do I reformat the drive?

The only way I know is by rebooting from the Windows XP installation CD.

I have tried rebooting from the CD drive with the Dell MediaDirect CD and nothing happens - it just restarts windows.

That'll undoubtedly be due to the drive boot order being incorrect?

You need to go into the BIOS, and set the boot order to CD/DVD, hard drive, and finally floppy drive - remembering to 'Save' your selection (F10?) before exiting :emotion-55:

5 Posts

March 1st, 2009 20:00

Hi Larry I saw your solution regarding media direct. I have a similar question. I have inspiron 6400 laptop (june 2006) came with XP home media centre edition, 100 GB single partition (C: drive where OS sits). I want to install now XP professional and gain the media direct ( I dont know which version I have) as well as the System recovery.

It would be great if you have any solution for this.

I appreciate any one who can suggest on this.

Thanks in advance. 

CK.

1.7K Posts

March 3rd, 2009 14:00

While you can install XP Pro and have Media Direct (using the standard Media Direct installation steps), you can't also have the recovery partition, as it would load a XP Media Center instead of XP Pro.

5 Posts

March 3rd, 2009 14:00

Thanks Larry.  So I would like to have just XP prof along with media centre option which is possibel as you have suggested.  I have an old hard drive ( which has already OS on that 60 GB) and I would like to fresh install XP prof on that as well as media centre option. In case if I could not suceed  and I replace it with the normal hard disk will it reboot?

I appreciate If you have walk through steps or link.

4 Posts

April 25th, 2009 09:00

Reinstalling Windows XP or Vista using OEM Windows Operating System Reinstallation Discs.

Recently, my Dell Dimension 4400 finally gave out. I couldnt even find my reinstall Disc. I ordered a new disc and reloaded my system.

I also found out that the Dell Reinstallation Disks will install on any system, And they will install on any Dell computer Activated without entering a product key. How to reinstall windows xp or vista onto your dell.

Step 1. Use the disc that came with your Dell computer to reinstall windows. No need to call a computer Tech anymore. You have everything you need at your fingertips!

Pre: Make sure you download the Ethernet and / or Wireless Networking driver from http://support.dell.com and save it on a disk, flash drive, CD etc.

A: Look at the Windows Product Key sticker on your Dell PC. Write down the version of Windows.

B: Take your Dell Windows Reinstallation CD/DVD and insert it into the cd/dvdrom drive.

C: Press F12 during bootup. Choose boot from CD/DVDRom.

D: Follow onscreen instructions and reload windows.

If you dont have a Windows XP / Vista OEM Reinstallation Operating System CD/DVD Disc, you can go to: http://www.oemsoftwaresource.com or Dell for a replacement.

The Second Step: Follow windows Prompts and Reinstall Windows.

The Third Step: Reinstall the Network drivers then go to http://support.dell.com and download the rest of the drivers for your PC. Once all the drivers are downloaded. You can install them one by one.

Now your system should be Completely clean and new!

1 Message

April 11th, 2014 06:00

Hi, 

I have make two partitions of the existing harddisk and installed windows xp on dell laptop. But still i am getting media direct login screen and as i have formatted the drive, it is giving a blue screen after some time. How to make windows xp as the default boot partition and how to fix the issue. i cannot see any hidden partitions in disk management to delete but still media direct is loading initially without my intention. 

No Events found!