Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2009 02:00

Unable to access website

Last thursday logged on to the below website to reply to a post and the site locked up on me. Was unable to log off. Since then
have been unable to access the site. I keep getting the "This page cannot be displayed error". Have tried deleting tepm internet
files, turning off NAV, disableing Norton Internet Security, ect but that didn't help. Went to a friend's house yesterday and was able
to access the site. I just can't access the site on my PC. Something in IE6 must be preventing me from accessing the site. I just don't
what. Can access any website except for the one indicated below. Would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

http://198.164.146.97/fanda/Forum/index.php

Dell XPS 600 3.0ghz
2gb Ram
WD 160gb Sata HD
DVD-ROM
DVD-RW (Plextor 760A)
Creative XF-I Extreme Music
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surrond speakers
EVGA 8800GT 512MB
Dell 2407WFP Rev A04
13-1 Card Reader
NSW 2006
NIS 2006
Win XP Home SP2
BIOS A11

22 Posts

another thing that you can try is to use mozilla firefox. try downloading mozilla and open the site using mozilla. if it works then something may be wrong with ie.. usually this also have something to do with add ons or security software.

22 Posts

you can try running IE with add ons disbled. you can also check if there are other applications preventing you from showing the site. you can try restarting your pc and press F8 when you see the dell logo. Then choose safe mode with networking. in safe mode with networking some of the programs that automatically run will be disabled. then visit the site. if it shows in safe mode then it's time to find out what program in the start up causes the problem.

175 Posts

January 19th, 2009 11:00

i tried accessing the site in Safe Mode with Networking and no joy. Still cannot access the site. I guess this rules out
that add-ons might be the problem. Ran SFC this morning and that didn't help. I have been going to that site for the
past six months with no problem until last week when i logged on and the site locked up on me. The site admin replyed
it is not their server as he was able to use my username to access the site. I sure would like to know what is preventing
me from going to that site.

January 19th, 2009 11:00

Empty your temp internet folder by opening internet tools and empty the folder.  If you are using IE6, you should upgrade to IE 7 because it is much more secure and user frendly.  If you really need the website, and none of this has helped, remove all of your cookies and see if that helps.

22 Posts

January 19th, 2009 13:00

we experienced same issue like this before but the antovirus was mcafee and yours is NAV. its the same exact issue wherein a person can not go his banking website. we tried to fully uninstall mcafee with the mcafee removal tool from their site and it just work immediately worked after that. It's something that you can try.

You can download the norton product removal tool from here. if you registered your norton product, then you can download it again even without the disk, if you have the disk the better then just update it later.

And one thing that you can try:

go to command prompt by clicking run > type cmd > press enter.

at the black screen type "PING" (without quotes) then space then the web address ex. PING www.yahoo.com then press enter.

your should get a reply. if reply is successful it will give a reply saying ping statistics packets sent:4 received:4 loss:0. if you get this king of reply then your pc can connect to that site. then next thing to do if PING is successful is to get the IP address of the website you want to visit. when you ping you'll get the ip address of the site. Then open an internet explorer windows and then instead of typing the web address on the address bar type the ip address. ex: instead of typing dell.com on address bar type 143.166.83.38(this is dell.com ip address). if typing the ip address works instead of the web address then all you need to do is flush and register dns.

22 Posts

January 19th, 2009 15:00

open Ie then on the address bar. instead of typing bathursted etc.. type 24.28.193.9. if it shows website then you need to flush and register dns using the IPconfig command. the ping shows that you system is getting reply from the site.

Have you tried downloading FireFox as an alternate browser?  Have you tried entering the website on your NAV?  Your problem probably appeared after a NAV update. Try NAV no support.

175 Posts

Have removed all cookies. I guess the Ping was successful. Just can't get on to the site. I have had no problem all the past six months looking at the site with NAV enabled and NIS enabled until last week. I normally do a clean install of XP once a year wheather it needs it or not. Next month will be one year. Hopefully that will solve the problem. I wish I knew what caused the problem in the first place.

175 Posts

January 20th, 2009 05:00

I just hooked up my back up PC, Dim 4550 and was able to get onto the site with no problem. That confirms that there is a problem in IE
on my XPS600. When i logged onto the site last week IE locked up and i had to use Cntl>Alt>Enter to close it. I have noticed  during the
past few months IE would lock up at times when viewing web pages. Nothing is disabled with respect to NAV, NIS, ect. I can access the forum with no problem. I guess it is time  to do a clean reinstall of XP on the XPS600. Thanks for all of the replies.

Dell XPS 600 3.0ghz
2gb Ram
WD 160gb Sata HD
DVD-ROM
DVD-RW (Plextor 760A)
Creative XF-I Extreme Music
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surrond speakers
EVGA 256mb 7950GT
Dell 2007WFP (I-SPS panel)
13-1 Card Reader
NSW 2006
NIS 2006
Win XP Home SP2
BIOS A11

January 20th, 2009 10:00

Since a recent security update, IE has not run well.    Have you considered using Fire

fox?  It runs faster and automatically imports all of your favoites.  Clean installations of the OS is very time consuming.

No Events found!