Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2010 23:00

Unable to log on XP SP3 - Dimension 4600

Ran SUPERAntiSpyware tonight and when the scan finished, I hit next and finished (it deleted several harmful items as usual) like I normally do except that now I can't log on. As soon as I log on, it logs me right back out. This applies to all users in both regular and safe mode. I tried to do a repair install of XP using my disk but it stops with C:\WINDOWS\ on the screen and will not finish. I have used both the SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes as a spyware tag team for the last couple of years with very good results. Any ideas how to get logged on so I can do a system restore for a previous date and undo this mess or how to get the repair install to function?

Barring either of those options, I have another Dell 4600 and a XPS Gen 3 reformatted and ready to go. If I were to put this hard drive in one of those as a slave, would it be possible to pull data off of it and transfer it to the reformatted drive? I would prefer to continue using the original 4600 if possible.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Andy

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 22nd, 2010 10:00

Have you tried booting to your XP disk and using the Recovery Console? Directions on how to use the console HERE.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 22nd, 2010 17:00

Sounds like the scan quarantined an essential Windows file. Not good. :emotion-12:

Reboot and press F8 before Windows starts to load. Choose last known good from the menu. If that works, shut down normally and reboot normally. You should be good to go.

If that doesn't work, reboot and press F8 again. This time pick Safe Mode from the menu. If that works, you should be able to do a System Restore from Safe Mode.

Ron

1.1K Posts

April 22nd, 2010 19:00

Andy

Agree with Ron

And yes (in fact it may be safer before trying any XP Repair Install options), you can use as slave drive to recover personal data, assuming you have connections & suspect HDD spins up OK?

Alternatively purchase a USB connected external HDD enclosure to insert & recover data from suspect HDD

If trying to do a Repair Install on an updated SP3 installed version by using a Dell OEM XP SP2 CD, it will fail

You should get a message to that effect in Windows Setup

Another issue, see MS KB article 917964

If that’s the case, try creating a slipstreamed XP SP3 CD to do a Repair Install or if data has been recovered then do a Clean Install followed by MS updates

Edit: just noticed Thebusman has double posted in DCF & also posted in superantispyware website Forum  :emotion-18:

No Events found!