Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2009 22:00

Uninstall in Registry

I have a DELL Studio XPS 435MT 6gb ram 750 HD Windows Vista 64 bit6 that I bought in July 09. I am getting Error 1628 when attempting to uninstall a duplicate file listed in the Registry. Attempts to uninstall this dupe file results in Error 1628. I have attempted to System Restore selecting several dates without success. Everything points to a Registry problem. I am now considering a Dell Factory Image Restore. Would this generate a new Registry? Any suggestions?

Jim

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 31st, 2009 02:00

Jim,

Was researching your error message and maybe reinstalling Windows Installer will help.

If that doesn't work, we can try a few things unless you just want to do the factory image. If you do the factory image, the computer will be like it was when you first got it.

Rick

2 Posts

August 31st, 2009 23:00

Rick,

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried Windows Installer but got "The update does not apply to your system". This situation has become more difficult. I cannot now uninstall any program or even install programs. When running the PC restore to restore to past dates, it functions just as it should do and then shuts down and restarts but hangs up halfway through. Only way to get machine running again is to pull the plug. Hit the power button and it starts and reveals a message that says that things didn't go right. I have decided to go back to the original DELL restore on D drive. Thanks again.

Jim

No Events found!