Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2008 12:00

Unusual Vista Question

For Christmas I bought my mom a new computer that came with Vista Home Premium.  However, through my school's website students are allowed to download various version of Windows including Vista Ultimate and so I thought it would be nice to put that on her computer.  Really I just wanted to do a clean install and get rid of all the junk software that came with the computer.  What I didn't realize at the time was that I had already installed Vista Ultimate 64-bit on my desktop and they apparently had the same serial number.  Now when her computer loads up I get a menu that says the 30 day trial is up and I need to enter an activation code.  The strange thing is I've tried entering a different activation code for Vista Ultimate from my roommates school account and it won't accept it.  I'm assuming the activation code has to match up with the installation CD that I initially used.  My mom doesn't "need" Vista Ultimate so I decided to download Vista Enterprise and boot her computer by disk but this isn't working either.  I get an error when I plug in the activation code.  I've come to the conclusion that I need to format her hard drive to get rid of the original Vista Ultimate installation but I'm not sure how to do that without being able to get past the initial menu saying her trial has expired.  All I can do is access the internet from her computer.  Is there a way to format her hard drive from the BIOS or Boot menu during start up?  The only other thing I can think of is to take her hard drive out and put it in an empty drive bay in my computer to format it but that would be a pain in the rear.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

935 Posts

January 29th, 2008 12:00

What model Dell do you have? Most come with a RECOVERY partition D which can be used to restore the C drive back to factory installed software and drivers.

Since you overwrote the Dell MBR, by installing Vista Ultimate, you'll need to follow these instructions to use the RECOVERY partition. In the instructions, it references the D drive for the different path settings. If you've created other parititons, you may need to change that to the drive letter the RECOVERY partition is actually on.

Good Luck.

39 Posts

January 29th, 2008 16:00

Thanks for your help but I just went ahead and stuck her hard drive into an empty bay in my computer and formatted it.  XP is installing right now so looks like the problem is solved.  Appreciate the help though.

2 Intern

• 

2.4K Posts

January 29th, 2008 17:00

Vista Enterprise can't be activated the normal way. It's either MAK or KMS only.

The school copies are for educational use only - you can't just hand it out to anyone. It's for one computer, what you are doing is illegal.
No Events found!