Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

October 17th, 2009 18:00

Upgrading XPS 600 to Windows 7

I have an XPS 600 and would like to upgrade to Windows 7 OS from Windows XP, I am not ready to buy a new desktop.

I have downloaded the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and it indicates that my system is compatible to run Windows 7 as per below. Dell Support begs to differ.

I am also upgrading my RAM to 8 GB in order to run the 64 Bit Version instead the 32 Bit version OS installed.

I talked to DELL Customer Support and said that my Driver's won't work, but below indicates that they will if I do a required windows update. DELL Support also indicated that they will not assist me if anything happens to my system.  I am wondering if DELL Support has done enough research?

Can you advise if this okay to do?

System Requirements

Upgrade
Backup system first
You'll need to perform a custom installation of Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin. Go online to get important information about installing Windows 7.
RAM
1.00 GB
Your PC meets the requirement of 1 GB of RAM for 32-bit Windows 7, but you need at least 2 GB of RAM for 64-bit Windows 7 for optimal performance. Contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if a RAM upgrade is available.
CPU speed
3.20 GHz
Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.
Hard Drive Free Space
139.97 GB
Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 16 GB free space for 32-bit Windows 7 and 20 GB free space for 64-bit Windows 7.
Windows Aero
Capable
Your system can run Windows Aero.

Devices
HP Photosmart 8000 Series
HP
Action recommended
Run Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make this device compatible.
HP Photosmart 8000 Series (DOT4PRT)
Hewlett-Packard
Action recommended
HP Photosmart 8000 Series (DOT4)
Hewlett-Packard
Action recommended
nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port
NVIDIA
Action recommended
Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)
Creative Technology, Ltd.
Action recommended
Creative Game Port
Creative
Not compatible
This device isn't compatible with Windows 7.
Intel(R) 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem
DELL
Action recommended
Angel MPEG Device
Emuzed, Inc.
Compatible
This device is compatible with Windows 7.
Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Texas Instruments
Compatible
NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller
NVIDIA Corporation
Compatible
NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller
NVIDIA Corporation
Compatible
NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
NVIDIA
Compatible
NVIDIA GeForce 6800
NVIDIA
Compatible
OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
IEEE 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller Vendor
Compatible
HP Photosmart 8000 Series (DOT4USB)
Hewlett-Packard
Compatible
USB Mass Storage Device
Compatible USB storage device
Compatible

Programs
Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007
version 12.0.4518.1014
Microsoft Corporation
Minor issues
You might experience minor issues using this program while running Windows 7. For more information, go online to the manufacturer's website.
USB 2.0 Wireless LAN Card Utility
version 8.1.50
Dell Inc.
Minor issues
You might experience minor issues using this program while running Windows 7. For more information, go online to the manufacturer's website.
Digital Line Detect
version 1.10
BVRP Software, Inc
Minor issues

202 Posts

October 17th, 2009 20:00

He Is Talking About The Older Dell XPS 600, And Not The Newer Dell XPS 630I!

14.4K Posts

You may or may not need any drives as a lot are in the install disk itself. There are Vista drives listed on the support page and most will work just fine with 7

I would wait until you get the OS installed before upgrading your ram to make sure the system is stable as is before you make changes

And Dell is correct you are altering the system for its shipped configuration. although hardware support will still be in effect. you may however be required to reload your original os to get support.

I have no idea as to what windows update you would need as that is a new one too me.

202 Posts

Check And See If Windows 7 Device Driver's Are Available 4 Your NVIDIA Mother Board At NVIDIA.COM.

That Is Where I Found Device Driver's 4 My Dell XPS 630I, witch came with a NVIDIA 650I SLI Ready Mother Board.

If Not Then Do As The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Recommends And Get The Device Driver's From Windows Update.

October 17th, 2009 21:00

I also checked to see if my system DXG051 is able to operate in 64 Bit Vista mode from the current 32 Bit XP and it is capable to doing so! ;) I would just have to do a clean install instead of moving to Windows7. :(

As well, 32 Bit mode will not support the 8 GB of RAM that I am going to be installing once I receive it. I've been doing some research of my own. Main reason I am switching to 64 Bit Vista Ultimate.

I don't think I am going to switch to the Windows 7 if Dell isn't going to support the Warranty of my system, pretty bad when you pay 5 K for it!

So I may just upgrade from 32 XP to Vista 64 Ultimate, as well as my RAM.

Do you think that would work and not cause any problems?

41 Posts

October 17th, 2009 22:00

Just a tip: You can't upgrade from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS. You will have to back up your files and programs and perform a clean install.

October 17th, 2009 23:00

Yes (LOL) I am aware of that, thanks for the tip! :)

176 Posts

October 18th, 2009 05:00

If you are going to upgrade anyway, why not get Windows 7. Vista 64-bit has become a very good OS but Win 7 is already better. I have been using 64-bit Vista for the past six months on a XPS 730 and will upgrade to Win 7 as soon as it is released (Oct 22). I have preordered three copies of Win 7 so I can also upgrade an XPS Gen 4 and a Dimension 8100. If all goes well I may even upgrade an older XPS T500 to Win 7.

You could always get a new hard drive for the upgrade and keep the old for warranty.

October 19th, 2009 12:00

Do you think that it will be okay for my 'old' XPS 600 system?

7 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 20:00

I'v been running the 64bit RC for a few months now and the only problem I'v had with my XPS600 is with the X-fi ExtremeMusic sound card.  If I enable more that 2Gb of memory the sound is all pops and crackes!  I guess its a known problem, Creative blames the Nvidia moto and Nvidia blames Creatives drivers.  Hope this helps.

No Events found!