Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 2nd, 2008 07:00

Vista SP1 & Memory

I just thought that you all might like to know a little something that happened to me after I installed Vista SP1.  Short background, I ordered a XPS M1530 w/ 4Gb of RAM & Vista Ultimate (32-bit natch), after getting it yesterday, I started to install my software and the Windows Updates.  I downloaded the full SP1 from MS and installed it with no problems onto my system.  Naturally curious to see if it really had worked, and it did, I took a look at the information screen to see if it said "Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1" and to my surprise I found that my system now registered the full 4Gb instead of the 3.5Gb that it had before.

I am curious to know if anybody else has had this occur, especially since I don't recall having read that MS had updated the memory recognition for its 32-bit Vista OS when I had skimmed over the highlights of the SP1 update.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2008 10:00

The reporting of the total installed memory by SP1 is one of the known updates that SP1 did.  Vista, 32 bit, still will not use all of the 4GB but it now reports the total memory.

984 Posts

May 2nd, 2008 18:00

This deception was introduced by Microsoft into SP1 after pressure from hardware suppliers. The hardware people expect fewer complaints as a result.

73 Posts

May 2nd, 2008 19:00

Oh ho, tricky!  I guess I should have examined the Processes Manager to see what my total physical memory really was.  Thank you, I'll have to be more careful next time when I see a major change in a report like that.
No Events found!