Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 5th, 2009 12:00

Vista Ultimate continually restarts upon Shut Down, Sleep or Hibernate

My XPS M1330 continually restarts. This started when I was trying to fix continual hanging (usually due automatic attempts by the laptop to go into Sleep mode when left alone for a while). In order to fix this problem I paid the fee for Dell PC Tuneup (by Iolo Technologies) which found a few problems and fixed them (no longer jams or refuses to wake up) but now I have the restart problem. Even closing the lid (configured to Hibernate) it still restarts with the lid closed. Am running with Vista Ultimate, 2 x 2048Mb RAM, 2.60GHz chip, nVidia GeForce 8400M GS, A15 BIOS.. Windows auto update is ON, Symantec 360 auto update and autoscan are ON. Have tried downloading latest drivers proposed for my TAG number for Chipset, Intel R153997, Ricoh R141246 also for Video nVidia R200273 but still same restart problem. Also tried the Iolo Technologies program "System Mechanic" which identified a few more problems, errors, and registry corrections but that was $46 wasted because i still have the same contiinual restart problem. I have tried disabling all variations of sleep & Hibernation, and also disabled the Auto restart in the Advanced System Settings; problem still there whether my laptop is in the USB Hub & using a separate flat screen or is totally stand alone. Occasionally during the Restart the laptop will automatically run CHKDSK and then eventually reboot. Only way to shutdown is to press and hold the Power Button for 8 secs but too frequent use of this method is unlikely to do the OS much good.

The Dell PC Tuneup must have done something but I have no idea what, and have run out of ideas as to what to do next to fix this. There seems no mention on the Dell website of this problem even though there are plenty of examples on other websites of other people having had this same difficulty. Many of these other people are on the same combination of XPS and Vista. Is this a Dell problem with Vista? Possibly a VIsta problem but the MS support website does not address this matter either.

So does anyone have any suggested solution for this. 

2 Posts

April 12th, 2009 13:00

I put this message on the forum a week ago. does nobody have any idea how to fix this problem? In searching through the internet I found a whole lot of others with Dell XPS reporting the same difficulty but none of them found a solution. This looks like a dell-Vista problem for which nobody knows the answer. Shocking, when you think how much I paid for my Dell XPS.

Microsoft has an excellent website for Vista problems and they do not ask for yr credit card numbner or charge you £40-80 before they will even speak to you. My problem is that it looks like the difficulty has something to do with Dell software so I am sure MS will send me beack to Dell. Meanwhile I can get no reply out of Dell.

Is nobody in action over the Easter w/e?

8 Posts

May 13th, 2009 08:00

I had a similar problem which I originally misidentified as a BIOS update problem. Reverting to the previous BIOS version failed to resolve it.

The next course of action was to verifiy the Power Management settings in Device Manager for each device listed.

The culprit on my system was the High Definition Audio Controller (found under System devices). Once I unchecked "Allow this device to wake the computer" the restart after hibernation problem disappeared.

1 Message

June 26th, 2009 14:00

Have you gotten any other suggestions?

I am having the same problems.. and tried the two listed below... and no successs....

I need help...

One Dell Tech suggested to reset computer back to factory settings...  Absolutely CRAZY!

1 Message

August 20th, 2009 07:00

I have exactly the same problem, except I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic on a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop. Exactly the same. Sometimes I can't even get the thing to shut down. It keeps restarting. Crazy. It's only a year old, too.

Tech support from both Dell and Windows has been abysmal. Any suggestions?

1 Message

August 24th, 2009 19:00

I have same problem with my Dell Vostro 1400 model, Vista Buisness edition is installed. Please help me if someone has found any solution.

Please update, Its almost 3 months I am facing this problem

Ashish Narang

January 16th, 2010 12:00

I've experienced the same problem on my Dell M1530 XPS laptop which I bought in August of 2008.  I am running Windows Vista Ultimate.  It's been a very persistent issue of the life of my machine. But I've discovered a weird way to deal with the problem.  I do not understand the cause of the problem, but I can tell you how I get around it on my computer.

I noticed that I do not get the problem when two conditions are in effect: 1) my computer power settings must be set to "Power Saver" mode before I hibernate or shutdown (give it a few seconds for the machine to actually accept the change.  2) I usually try to have the computer running on battery power (power cord unplugged) prior to initiating the hibernate/shutdown.

I came to this forum to find if anyone had a real solution to the problem, but seems nobody has so instead I'll continue this workaround.

I'm curious to know if this works for anybody else.

No Events found!