Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 6th, 2008 17:00

Vista service pack 1

I have both a xps desktop and a inspiron laptop with an original Vista install. The laptop is 10 months old and the desktop is 3 months old. I cannot get windows update to show the service pack for either one. Both of them have the updates that get the machines ready for the downloads. I went through Microsofts 6 reasons why you might not see the update but I can't figure out what I need. I am just a normal computer user. I can't see why you have to be a "geek" to understand what is going on! Where can I find understandable explanations?

21 Posts

April 14th, 2008 14:00

Hi Cathy

A full list of the incompatible drivers which could cause you not to get offered the SP1 download from Win Updates automatically are on this site,  http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method5  Have a look at 'Cause 5' to see your your driver is among them.

Certainly, Creative/Audigy etc is amongt the list but you need to check your Device Manager to see if the exact driver is on your computers.

Right click 'Computer' from the 'Start' menu, the 'Properties'. 'Hardware' tab then 'Device Manager' Go to your Sound devices and check which driver you have and compare with the list on the above site.

You might be able to then see if there is a later compatible driver by doing a web search.  If there isn't, as in my case with the Sigma drivers, then you just have to wait and see what MS do about it.  I understand that you will be offered SP1 when the matter has been resolved by the normal Windows Update in due course. Just sit back and be patient. :smileysad:

Graham

Message Edited by ELGeePee on 04-14-2008 04:30 PM

48 Posts

April 14th, 2008 15:00

Graham,

I did what you said and both drivers are on the bad list:

Sigma Tel High Defintion Audis CODEC 6.10.0.5511 Creative Technology LTD - XPS210

Sigma Tel High Defintion Audis CODEC 6.10.0.5343 Creative Technology LTD - Inspiron 1405 laptop.

When I tried to update the driver on the XPS it said I had the latest one.

What gripes me is that my desktop isn't 3 months old yet. Shouldn't Dell have known offerring this driver would give their customers problems? I've checked out some other forums and they have all blasted Creative Technology for ignoring the issue because they are working on something else. Both my computers have Vista as the original operating system. I gave my XP Dimension 8250 to a family member. It would not take Vista and it was 5 years old. I wanted a smaller processor box because it is easier for me to handle. Plus with all the USB drives I could get external drives like an extra DVD which I liked on my old machine.  I have been happy with its size and performance. Again - thanks for your info.

Cathy

21 Posts

April 14th, 2008 18:00

This is a Dell Forum and one would hope that they read it.  It's about time they put out some sort of statement about what they are going to do about the situation, which must be effecting a lot of their customers.

Come on DELL, how about it?

Graham

21 Posts

April 15th, 2008 15:00

"Sigma Tel High Defintion Audis CODEC 6.10.0.5343 Creative Technology LTD - ".

That is the same driver that I have on my laptop.  It's dated 12 Jan 2007 and if you log on to the Dell Support Centre ( The Support programme that you should have on your computer), then navigate to driver updates, it will tell you that there is no updates for your system...

I have been told on another Forum, today that MS is now pushing SP1 out to all those who have Auto Updates enabled. I have now disabled Auto updates as I want to control the download, not come back to my computer and find it messed up. I don't mind it downloading, but I want to control the installation myself.

Graham

48 Posts

April 15th, 2008 19:00

I figured it had to be that driver as I had the same thing on both machines. Check some of the forums on Creative labs. They blame Creative labs for the fiasco. Creative labs is just not interested in updating their driver.

Also, I have never used automatic updates; I just have Microsoft notify me and I check the updates before I download them. Usually someone like Windows Secrets will report on any that foul up your system.

Thanks for your input.

Cathy

No Events found!