Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2006 12:00

What do you do when you want to rebuild, but Windows does not see your installation?

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to repair my Windows XP installation without formating the hard drive.

So I selected setup and instead of seeing my installation and offering me to press

R to repair it, (I was not is the recovery console.) all it wanted to do was format

my hard drive and install Windows XP fresh.

I tried a Dell Windows XP Reinstallation disc and a Windows XP upgrade disc and I

tried some fixes to make it see my installation to no avail.

Also for Denny from an earlier post,

If you use another Dell OEM Windows XP Reinstallation disc rather than the one that came with your computer, don't you have to use it's product key and if you have the two computers, won't Microsoft reject one for upgrades and patches if they now both have the same product key?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Dale Ashby

Message Edited by Dashby on 06-26-200609:14 AM

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

June 24th, 2006 16:00

Dashby,

If you use another Dell OEM Windows XP Reinstallation disc rather than the one that came with your computer, don't you have to use it's product key and if you have the two computers, won't Microsoft reject one for upgrades and patches if they now both have the same product key?
No. You will not be prompted to enter the Product ID of the CD you are installing from and the installation will be preactivated so no activation will be required after installation. If you investigate the Product ID of Dell XP isntallations using the KeyFinder or a similar program you will find that none of them match the Product ID on the computer sticker, but rather are Dell's volume licensing Product ID. This has caused a lot of confusion in the past.

27 Posts

June 26th, 2006 12:00

Hi Denny,

Thank you for clarifying that the Dell discs are volume licensing discs, so I should have no problem.

Do you know anything about this situation?

I wanted to repair my Windows XP installation without formating the hard drive and installing Windows XP all over again.

So I selected setup and instead of seeing my installation and offering me to press

R to repair it, (I was not is the recovery console.) all it wanted to do was format

my hard drive and install Windows XP fresh.

Fred Langa's recent newletter (langa.com) suggests you should be able to do this.

I ended up having to abandon the effort and restore my computer from a Ghost backup I had made 10/06/05. But at least I got it going.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Dale Ashby

Message Edited by Dashby on 06-26-200609:23 AM

No Events found!