Highlighted
gsferdinand
1 Copper

Win7 OS Recovery - Service Tag Issue

Jump to solution

Hi,

I would like to do a clean reinstall of Windows 7 using my Windows product key and Dell service tag but I have problems:

I come to the Dell site after I could not download Win7 with my Windows OEM sticker product key, because Microsoft redirected me to Dell for  compatibility issues (fair enough).

I cannot proceed at the Dell site, because:

i) with the Dell OS Recovery Tool  it could not get pass the first step of checking the Dell service tag, because it reports for  my tag: " No OS image for this tag, though images exist for the product." and offers me a  'refresh' button, but no way to proceed with the work.

ii) I also tried here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/OSISO where the error message after entering my tag was:

"Recovery image currently unavailable.

The recovery image download could not be generated due to missing information. Please contact technical support for assistance."

What are these error messages? Why do I receive them? How to solve them?

I have found these unanswered questions on the forum about the same error messages, but without much of an answer this far:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/20022408 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/20018059

I cannot contact technical support directly from Hungary, but any help about who to contact with this issue on this site is also welcome. I will also try to contact my local retailer.

Thanks for the support,

Ferdinand

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
9 Rhodium

RE: Win7 OS Recovery - Service Tag Issue

Jump to solution

Dell no longer supplies Windows 7 restore media -  if you need that, you'll need to look to EBay or elsewhere to get a set of Dell 7 install media.

Otherwise, it's time to follow as above and upgrade to windows 10.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Jump to solution

The Windows 10 Media Creation Tool is here (it should be updated to a new build in 1-2 days) and works with all Windows 7 OEM/Windows 8.x OEM and Windows 10 OEM licenses:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 

I've put together full installation instructions here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/#CleanInstall15063 

If you must use Windows 7 then see here to Download the January 2016 Windows 7 Reinstallation .iso:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/#7601 

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
gsferdinand
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I need to install Windows7.

Thank you for the reply,  but the installation guide is not much use at the moment since I cannot download the .iso file with my service tag to begin with - that's my issue.

(Unless there was a relevant part which I overlooked; then be so kind and copy or link it directly)

What is the (nature of the) problem with my service tag?

Where to find out?

Thank you for the answer,

Ferdinand

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

Dell no longer supplies Windows 7 restore media -  if you need that, you'll need to look to EBay or elsewhere to get a set of Dell 7 install media.

Otherwise, it's time to follow as above and upgrade to windows 10.

0 Kudos
gsferdinand
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you, ejn63 and natakuc4!

I wasn't aware that Win7 is no longer supported - which about answers my issue.

Nevertheless, this is disheartening news, not just so in itself, but because non of the error messages informed about such developments - or simply about the nature of the problem.

Thank you and good foruming,

Ferdinand  

wichit3x
1 Copper

Jump to solution

ejn63, you must be mistaken.  On 12/26/2017, I called customer support & was able to order a "Dell Direct USB Recovery Key Win7 Professional 64-bit CUS KI T, WW" for $19.95. It was delivered the first week of Jan 2018. My aging Optiplex 790's HDD had died. Finding a 1TB drive  for < $30 @ Microcenter and this recovery key saved my bacon 'cause I'd spent almost all of my spare money on Xmas. Also, last week, 04/02/2018, I discovered the Dell OS recovery tool while looking for drivers for a friend's e6330. I was able to download an image for my optiplex and her latitude. My image worked perfectly but her's stalled with an error about the cdrom driver.  I joined the forum to see if I could find a solution without bothering tech support.

0 Kudos
ieee488
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

@wichit3xwrote:

@ejn63, you must be mistaken.  On 12/26/2017, I called customer support & was able to order a "Dell Direct USB Recovery Key Win7 Professional 64-bit CUS KI T, WW" for $19.95. It was delivered the first week of Jan 2018. My aging Optiplex 790's HDD had died. Finding a 1TB drive  for < $30 @ Microcenter and this recovery key saved my bacon 'cause I'd spent almost all of my spare money on Xmas. Also, last week, 04/02/2018, I discovered the Dell OS recovery tool while looking for drivers for a friend's e6330. I was able to download an image for my optiplex and her latitude. My image worked perfectly but her's stalled with an error about the cdrom driver.  I joined the forum to see if I could find a solution without bothering tech support.

Since ejn63's reply back in October 2017, Dell is offering Windows 7 ISOs for download for business-class PCs.

Optiplex and Latitude are included. I bought a used E6230 and was able to get the Dell Windows 7 ISO using the Service Tag #.

However, while ISOs are nice, having a disk image as backup as nicer.

It will save you hours of Windows 7 updates following a fresh install. 

0 Kudos