Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2015 06:00

Windows 10 Upgrade - Dell Inspiron 15-3520

I currently have an inspiron 15-3520 laptop that I bought in 2012, that came with Windows 8 pre-loaded. I have updated to Windows 8.1 and are wondering if I can get the free upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out. Any response would be appreciated, thanks.

2 Posts

August 18th, 2015 07:00

Had the same problem after Win10 upgrade, my 3520 had a black screen and 3 beeps.  NONE of the traditional resets/setup/fixes worked! The only way I got mine and a neighbors 3520 going again was to remove the CMOS battery, which resets it enough to let you in the BIOS via the "F2" key at the now visible -Dell start-up screen- and then you can set the BIOS to reload the default values and restart.  Now you should be able to get in to your previous windows OS or Win10 (depending on how far the Win10 Upgrade got before it died) -in my case back to Win7 and Win8.1 for my neighbors.  The hard part is getting to the CMOS battery... take the laptop apart (all the way) AC/battery removed, remove keyboard (4 small push in  tabs along top of keyboard) then remove 3 cables (all marked with blue color/tabs) 1.) flip brown cable connector clasp to the right to remove keyboard cable, 2.) lift brown connector to remove power cable (upper left) and 3.)  lift brown connector to remove track pad cable.  Next remove 2 screws from the hole now open from where the keyboard was removed (the only 2 screws down brown plastic holes, middle left and upper middle) Now flip over laptop and remove all screws from bottom and then flip back upright and separate top of case from bottom, you have to gently pry apart at several points (guitar pick is a great tool or small screw driver) around case until top pops off, set aside.  The CMOS battery is a round flat cr2025 type battery in a holder under where the track pad was, at the front middle of mother board (pops out by small screw driver inserted in the slot on the left of the holder). wait a few minuets for the charge to disapate (could be as much as 30 mins. wait if it is a new battery or newer laptop, mine only took a couiple of mins....) pop it back in the holder and then reassemble the laptop (reverse what we just did).  after putting the main battery back and plugging in the AC hit the power button and the Dell start-up screen should come up, press "F2" to get in to the BIOS and move over to the tab to restore factory defaults and save them.  now you can get back in Win (your version) and restore it back to what you had or fix/finish the Win 10 update.  I fixed the problem drivers/settings etc as others have around the net (just search for your model/hardware/problem) and follow those leads and now I have 2 working Win10's running on 3520's! I can get you pics if it would help...

6 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 05:00

Did you leave the CMOS battery out overnight? Do that, reinsert the CMOS battery and then start it up. After about 5 minutes or longer,it should boot, then  immediately go to the Dell website and download and install the latest BIOS update. (A10 for the 3520) I did this with mine and it's still working great three months later.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2015 07:00

:emotion-2:

Click on the "Reserve Your Free Upgrade" or check the "Windows Q&A" in the Link:

www.microsoft.com/.../windows-10-upgrade

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

June 3rd, 2015 14:00

2 Posts

August 6th, 2015 15:00

Have you upgraded? I have the same laptop and upgraded to windows 10 last night. Now my computer is completely unresponsive, giving off three beeps whenever i press the power button. Have you had the same?

1 Message

August 11th, 2015 16:00

I upgraded. The laptop is responsive, but the only issue I've found so far (2 hours of use) is that my sound driver is not working, and DELL does not support any driver for this OS.

6 Posts

August 14th, 2015 11:00

Same with mine.

1 Message

August 15th, 2015 06:00

After upgrading my Inspiron 3520 to Windows 10, everything seems to work, including audio.  After several hours of use, the only problem I have seen is that, every now and then, my display messes up for a minute or two.  It is to the point where it is unusable.  Then, after a minute or two, all of the sudden it looks normal again.

6 Posts

August 17th, 2015 12:00

My 3520 did that for two days before it totally crashed. Now it won't even POST. I suggest that you roll the Win 10 back off your computer. leave it on at your own risk, but search the many forums trying to recover 3520s from a total crash.

6 Posts

August 18th, 2015 09:00

I've had the CMOS battery out of mine a dozen times. It stops the beeping, but I get no splash screen or anything else on the monitor. The fan runs, and the lights light up. The F2 and F12 buttons do nothing. It eventually starts the three beeps again.

I wish it were this simple for mine. Glad it worked for you.

2 Posts

August 20th, 2015 16:00

There are many configurations for the 3520, what are you device specs? How long did you leave your cmos battery out and did you also unplug it and leave the main battery out as well as hold the power button in for a good 2mins with all three power sources removed, you have to remove all power to get the bios to loose its charge and reload from ROM.  When you do reboot which lights specifically come on power and then a flash of wireless and then hard drive? is the dvd coming on? have you tried the FN-f1 or Fn -f2 a couple of times after boot before a splash screen would come up to see if it toggles the monitor back to LCD.  Have you tried hooking up a monitor or TV to the video port to see if it is coming on  there?  The way I have fixed it worked on 2 different configuration of 3520's (same intel video on both) and have other successful replies from around the web and have seen a few other variations (mostly same work around but with extraneous steps) posted. Will try and help if I can... may need the right combo at the right time...

6 Posts

August 20th, 2015 17:00

This is service tag # , or

Thanks.

6 Posts

August 20th, 2015 17:00

My computer does not even POST, much less go to splash screen. I've had the CMOS battery out overnight, with the battery, ac adapter, HD, Ram all removed. Yes I held the power button down for over a minute. I've tried every button I could think of including F1,F2 and F12, getting nothing on the screen. I get the power light, the HD light for awhile, no wireless light  The CD drive runs. After 30 seconds of nothing, it goes back to the three beeps. I haven't tried a remote video, but I will next time I fool with it, probably Saturday. I'm an old man, just trying to get by.

Components

Part Number
Quantity
Description
W006J
Module, Label, Notebook Inspiron, Break The Seal Sticker
J802J
LABEL, INFORMATION, NOTEBOOK, INSPIRON, BTSS
36R3G
Module, Processor, I3-2350M, 2.3, 2C, INS
HPCH5
PROCESSOR, I3-2350M, 2.3, SNB, 2C, JAVA COMPLIANT, P
MY297
Label, Fascia, Intel, CARTON
948CX
MODULE, LABEL, INTEL, NO BIOS, CI32
RDY3J
Label, Intel, No Bios, CI32
K58XX
MODULE, DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 4GB, 1X4G, 1600MHZ, DDR3
FYHV1
DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 4GB, 1600MHZ, 512X64, 8K, 204
Y7JCH
MODULE, KEYBOARD, 86, UNITED STATES, ENGLAND/ENGLISH, C12S, WORLD WIDE, W8
T5M02
KEYBOARD, 86, UNITED STATES, ENGLAND/ENGLISH, C12S, WIN8
K0RFC
MODULE, LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY, 15.6HDF, WLED, LEGEND, E/C15
8G1JY
LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY, 15.6HDF, WLED, TLF, LEGEND
1M9FF
Module, Assembly, Base, UNIFIED MEMORY ARCHITECTURE, 3520
G8TPV
ASSEMBLY, BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP), NOTEBOOK, UNIFIED MEMORY ARCHITECTURE, 3520
VKKR3
SERVICE CHARGE, DRIVER, UNIFIED MEMORY ARCHITECTURE, INS, 3520

1 Message

August 21st, 2015 08:00

I am having the same problem right now and was wondering if you could post pictures because it is a bit difficult to understand your description.

1 Message

September 14th, 2015 15:00

Ok this is a old post i found But i had the Same problem and i fixed it

Try Reseating the Ram in DIMM A then if it doesnt work Try dimm B If DIMM B worked then you didnt seat your RAM properly OR the DIMM Terminals have died Try Inserting back to DIMM A (Maybe you didnt use enogh force You can click it in without the contacts touching so try that). If it didnt work on Both DIMM the RAM is dead.

No Events found!