Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 31st, 2009 05:00

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit vs 64-bit

Hi

I would be grateful if anyone can help. I am familiar with the 32-bit vs 64-bit debate to a point. I am upgrading to a new laptop and have been advised by one of our main software suppliers to stay with 32-bit version of Windows 7 Professional for now. The problem is the Dell machines I am insterested in (the Studio XPS) are showing as supplied with Windows 64-bit only. Does anyone know if the supplied version will have both 32-bit and 64-bit re-installion options (i.e. so I can do a clean re-install before I start using the machine) or if I can request a 32-bit initial installation (there is no option for this on the Dell website)?

Any comments gratefully received!

Thanks

Chris

14.4K Posts

Remember the biggest thing is you cannot upgrade or downgrade form 32 to 64 bit or vice versa with out doing Complete Clean reinstall. There is no work around to this.

I would definatly recommend running a 64 bit version unless there is some software or older hardware that will not work on 64 bit.

The advantages to me out weigh running a 32 bit os

78 Posts

In todays day and age, there is no reason to select a 32-bit OS for a desktop or a laptop.  You'd be limited to less than 4GB of memory, and only getting half of your CPU registers, limiting performance.

Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate both include a VirtualPC, enabling you to run 32-bit apps in the virtual environment.  So there really is no excuse anymore for not being 64-bit.  but if you absolutely must be 32-bit, make sure you do not configure more than 4GB of RAM, and yes, the OS install media for Windows 7 does include both 32 abd 64-bit if you order with Professional or Ultimate, so I understand.

370 Posts

December 31st, 2009 17:00

and yes, the OS install media for Windows 7 does include both 32 abd 64-bit if you order with Professional or Ultimate, so I understand.

I know this is true for a retail purchase of Windows 7, but can you (or anyone) confirm that the Dell OEM provided disks with a new Dell computer include both 32- and 64-bit versions?

When I bought my last computer from Dell, only the 32-bit Vista disk was included, although I was able to request a 64-bit disk.  Just wondering what Dell is shipping with new computers at this time. 

No Events found!