Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2009 07:00

Windows 7

I appeared to have registered for the windows 7 upgrade, because when i try to register it says it is already registered.

But i havent received an email yet?

how long can it take to get it?

By the way i bought an dell xps 430.

7 Posts

October 28th, 2009 19:00

Use your DEBIT card to complete your Win 7 upgrade, you will be successful. Use a credit card and you will FAIL and you wiill continually get an 'error' message, simply because Dell will NOT pay the 3% charge (approx) which credit card companies charge suppliers.  

See my other replies in this thread and other Win 7 upgrade threads here!

If folks stuck to one thread and refrain from starting new threads on the same subject, the Win 7 upgrade problems would be much easier to follow.. and fix! 

87 Posts

October 29th, 2009 11:00

Mine is set for despatch on the 31st, i hope it does not change.

2 Posts

November 19th, 2009 06:00

My order status has now changed 3 times since I placed it, was expecting depatch on 18/11 which has now changed to 28/11 - have tried phoning customer support who have been less than helpful, and have now raised this with BBC watchdog. I recommend anyone else in this situation contact BBC Watchdog as well as I am sure they will be more than happy to investigate this problem

2 Posts

November 19th, 2009 06:00

My order status has now changed 3 times since I placed it, was expecting depatch on 18/11 which has now changed to 28/11 - have tried phoning customer support who have been less than helpful, and have now raised this with BBC watchdog. I recommend anyone else in this situation contact BBC Watchdog as well as I am sure they will be more than happy to investigate this problem

7 Posts

November 19th, 2009 09:00

I am in the UK and in September bought a laptop with the 'Vista' operating system, from PC World, entitling me to the free Win 7 upgrade.  

After a lot of initial aggro registering for the upgrade and paying the £15 Dell delivery charge using my *debit* card (not credit card) I finally took delivery of the Win7 upgrade disks.

One of the disks is the 'upgrade assistant' which caused me no end of problems.  During setup, the upgrade 'assistant' disk advised me to remove the Network card which I did, going into my computer control panel/device manager.

I then inserted the Win7 upgrade disk, which then told me to go online to update some of the 'Vista' drivers! Of course, with the network card just removed, it was not possible to go online!  So, I had to roll back using 'system restore' to get the network card back.

I tossed the upgrade 'assistant' disk to one side and reinserted the Win7 upgrade disk and followed the onscreen installation instructions.  After about 3 hours, it appeared to going well with each step 'ticked' with the green 'tick' mark indicating success of each separate stage of the installation. 

Thinking all was well, the computer went into reboot and then a blank dark screen appeared with the words.. 'set up will continue' but it didn't say *when* it would continue, which week, which month or even which year? I waited and waited, finally went to bed and left the laptop on overnight, hoping setup had 'continued' during the night. No such luck, the system had crashed during the so-called Win7 'upgrade'.

There was nothing more I could do, no reboot fixed it, nothing, zilch, just a blank screen with those immortal words.. 'setup will continue'.

I had no choice but to take the laptop back to PC World. I explained the situation to a PC World assitant who was far from sympathetic. I asked "what do I do now"? "Dunno" was the swift reply from the assistant!  After about 20 mins or so, I gave up on him and found a female assistant who did help.

I then asked the assistant if PC world would fix the laptop by installing Win7 and give me the upgrade I was promised in September, when I bought the laptop.  "Sure" she said, we'll install Win 7 from your Dell upgrade disk for £49.99p!  I protested saying it was the upgrade disk that caused the laptop to crash and she said, "well, you'll have to take that up with Dell."  Faced with no other choice, I paid the £49.99 and said "okay, please install Win7. "Sure" she said, "it will be done in *8* days time, On Saturday 21st.November"!!  Again, with no alternative, I left the laptop with PC World and (hopefully) I will find out this coming Saturday 21st if the upgrade has been successful and if my personal data on the laptop has been saved or wiped clean?

I will of course be taking legal advice on the matter of charges for the so-called 'free' upgrade and I will return to this forum later with the result of what transpires. 

Win7 'free' upgrade! Hmmmm: £15 Dell disk-delivery charge plus £49.99 paid to PC World to upgrade to Win7.

So much for the 'free' upgrade promised me when I bought the laptop in September. Needless to say, both PC World and Dell have now lost me as a customer. Enough is enough and I won't be buying anything else from either company.

I just wish I hadn't bothered with the 'free' Win7 upgrade and just kept on using the lesser 'Vista' operating system.  Vista did have one or two compatibility problems, but nothing that couldn't be overcome. 

We live and learn.. eh? 

No Events found!