Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2004 22:00

Windows Messenger VERSES MSN Messenger

What is the difference in these two programs?  If one has the XP OS, which should they use?

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

2.4K Posts

April 24th, 2004 01:00

MSN Messenger is for the average home user. It definitely has more features over Windows Messenger. I think stuff like webcam feature, etc. are in MSN Messenger and not in Windows Messenger.

Windows Messenger lacks such features and is targetted for 'corporate networks'. It does not have skin support or anything like that, but it works.

I hope that made sense, and perhaps someone can explain it in much more depth.

98 Posts

April 24th, 2004 01:00

Yes, that helped.  I removed Windows Messesnger a few hours ago with a 'run command' I know that gets rid of it.  If you don't do that, it will pop back up on you, it's very annoying:)  I just wanted to make sure I was choosing the best choice out of the two programs.

Thanks.

2K Posts

April 24th, 2004 03:00

Only one problem. Some of the functionality of MSN messenger is dependent on Windows Messenger being there. Remote Assistance, Application Sharing, Whiteboard, and perhaps others will not work if Windows Messenger is fully removed instead of just disabled.

2K Posts

April 24th, 2004 04:00

If you are running XP Pro, GPEDIT can be used to disable Windows Messenger without removing it. See these instructions by Microsoft MVP Doug Knox.

If you have XP Home, then look at this utility, also from Doug Knox.

98 Posts

April 24th, 2004 04:00

Oh man you kidding me?  Now I understand why I was never able to connect to my friends PC via remote:(  If I install it again, how can I keep it from launching all the time or signing me in, in the background without me knowing I'm on?  I have turned off all the settings I know how to turn off and it still does it.  It's a real pain!
No Events found!