Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2008 20:00

Windows Security Automatic Update

Hi!

Few days back I notice that there was a windows security alert. When I click on the icon, under windows security center menu. It states that the Automatic Updating was turn off. I tried to turn it on so that i can install the lates windows update. An error code prompt me saying that the error code was 80070424. I even tried using the Help menu... But I still can't solve the problem. I even tried installing from microsoft website... and this message came up

Microsoft Update could not be installed on your computer

Make sure that you log on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group, and then try again.

More troubleshooting options
  • If your computer is connected to a network and the problem persists, contact your system administrator to see if your Microsoft Update settings are managed using group policy.
  • If your computer is not connected to a network, or if your system administrator has not disabled Microsoft Update, check if the Windows Update service is disabled or stopped. To see how to start a service, search Help and Support on your computer.

Note: If you experience problems with installing Microsoft Update, you can continue to get updates for your computer by going to Windows Update in Control Panel.

[Error number: 0x80070424]
Honestly have I have tried following all the instructions above. Still I can't solve the problem! On top of that, I also tried scanning my computer with an anti virus software, yet there was no threat found. Not too sure what to do next.
Plllleeeeeaaaseeee! Help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 23rd, 2008 20:00

Validate Windows here

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

Also try the Windows Installer link for Non-Vista machines from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 23rd, 2008 22:00

Try

Windows key and R key at the same time

Hi!

Thanks for the prompt reply... but i have another problem though.... Well I am still new at using Windows Vista and I can't find the RUN command like the Windows XP that I use to use. Kindly advice.

Thank you,

regards

Hi!

Sorry again.... manage to find the RUN command.... did exactly as you have advice me too, but it was only successful up to regsvr32 wuapi.dll. When i tried to type in the second command.... an error report came out saying that The module "wuaueng.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005.

What should I do next. Kindly advice

Regards

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Easy way to do this is copy and paste them from the post

second one is...

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 and a space is in all of them

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 24th, 2008 12:00

July 24th, 2008 12:00

Hi!

Did the copy and paste technique.... only regsvr32 wups.dll and regsvr32 wups2.dll was ok.... the rest of the commands some came out wt the same error report as b4 ( 0x80070005) and some with failed to load ... asking to debug and check binary files, dependant dll files.

Not too sure what it means...

Regards

July 24th, 2008 14:00

Hi!

Thank you for the web link.... did as advice.... but still does not solve my problem. It gvs another reporting error

The module "QMGR.DLL" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegistryServer was
not found.

Make sure that "QMGR.DLL" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

There is this person who also face the same problem as I do. He posted it on the 7th of July... but there was no reply for the solution ... :(

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 24th, 2008 20:00

Last hope is a repair install or a clean install.

July 25th, 2008 09:00

HI!

Is there a number for me to Call Dell Support?... I called microsoft support Center regarding this problem. They need me to get ready wt the microsoft installation cd. The problem now is... the CD that dell send when I first bought this Notebook is the reinstallation DVD for microsoft vista. I mention to the Microsoft Support officer about the situation...They ask me to call Dell. Kindly advice

Regards

July 25th, 2008 09:00

HI!

Sorry for the trouble.... mange to get the Technical suport number. Unfortunately...its closed... Never mind will try calling back tomorrow. Thanx again for all the Help.

Regards

No Events found!