Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 13th, 2012 08:00

Windows - Upgrade to 64 bit Disc

Hello,

The small company that I work for have two Dell Precision™ T3500 Workstation's and they want to upgrade the RAM in them, however it has a 32 bit version on Windows (Vista) but downgraded to XP and so have a 4GB limit.

I have read on some other posts I can request new 64 bit install discs provided that the machines are within warranty. Is this correct?

Thanks

RustyBadger.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 14th, 2012 08:00

That is a possibility IF your COA (label with Product Key on it) is for XP.  If you purchased it from Dell with the downgrade from Vista to XP, then it will likely have a Vista COA on it.  If that is the case, you can downgrade to XPx64 Pro, but you will need to call Microsoft activation to activate it as per the downgrade rights.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 13th, 2012 08:00

No, they will only send you the media for the ordered OS, however, because the Product Key is valid for either the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version, if you can get a hold of some media, it will work.  If you are wanting XPx64, then you must use a Dell installation disk for the Product Key to be valid (Vista/7 are different in this respect).

December 14th, 2012 00:00

Ohhh ok...

Suppose if I were to buy a retail installation on Windows XP 64 bit, could I install this? Then would I just have to download the drivers from the Dell website??

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Yes, that would work.  (BTW ... the Dell installation CD/DVD's do not have any special drivers on them ... other than some OEM branding and activation information, they are plain, vanilla installation discs.)

Would an alternative solution to be to find a clean Windows XP 64bit OEM disc and use the code that is on the label on the tower??

Thanks.

I will probably do that then.

Massive thank you for your time! :)

No Events found!