Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 24th, 2007 09:00

Windows Vista - Warning?

I have (had!) Vista Ultimate - OEM - version running, all activated and validated. In order to upgrade the RAM, I had to update the system BIOS.
Vista is now reporting that it is not genuine.

1/ Is this due to the BIOS update? If so how do I re-validate the OEM version of Vista? Short of buying another activation key.

2/ If that is the case, what other 'hardware' changes are likely to invalidate an OEM version?
I also recently added a second graphics card in order to run SLi mode.

Having experienced a number off hardware failures on my old machine in the not too distant past (HDD's Graphics etc)would this also cause vista to invalidate? Previously I have been running XP Pro (OEM) and these changes didn't cause any problems with XP.

Does the 'New' terms of the Vista OEM mean having to replace/purchase a new activation key everytime something changes?

As I paid to have Vista Ultimate installed on this machine, I expect to be able to upgrade the computer without having to purchase a 'Full' retail version of the OS in order to upgrade the computer specs.
Just because Vista was supplied in a version that forms part of a volume license agreement between MS/Dell I don't think it should be my problem or indeed cost, if/when I choose to upgrade the system.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

DELL XPS 700

12K Posts

June 24th, 2007 09:00

Vista may have seen that chnage as a major system change and want svalidation.  We saw the same in XP.  if youhave an option, call Microsoft and speak to their HelpDesk (actually their vendor) and explaines what happend.

2.5K Posts

June 24th, 2007 13:00

I am guessing.  You are trying to run a non-dell OEM version on a Dell PC.  

2.7K Posts

June 24th, 2007 16:00

Hi mab1966
You may want to read this link on some of the other things that can cause Vista to have to be
reactivated.
It is not just a hardware change that can cause it.

Good Luck

1.9K Posts

June 24th, 2007 16:00

mab1966,

The fix for this has been out for a while.

Here is what the Microsoft KB says and how to fix it:

You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista was already activated by a Volume License or OEM installation

Article ID : 931573 Last Review : March 15, 2007 Revision : 3.1
On This Page

SYMPTOMS
You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista activation was not previously required. For example, this problem may occur on a computer where Windows Vista was preinstalled by an OEM or by using a Volume Licensing installation. The problem does not occur on Retail versions of Windows Vista. For example, the problem does not occur if you purchased Windows Vista and installed the operating system on a computer yourself.

Although this problem rarely occurs, it may occur during typical use of a Windows Vista-based computer.

Back to the top

CAUSE
This problem may occur because a specific system setting is removed when a program runs with administrative credentials. The removal of this system setting may cause a BIOS validation check to fail. The BIOS validation check is part of the system activation process. Therefore, you may be prompted to activate Windows Vista, even though the system did not previously require activation. For example, this problem is known to occur when you use Intuit QuickBooks 2007. However, this problem may also infrequently occur when you install other programs or device drivers.

Note This problem does not occur because of an issue in the installed program or device driver. This problem is caused by a system problem in Windows Vista.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem if it has already occurred To resolve this problem if it has already occurred, use one of the following methods: • If you have been prompted to activate Windows Vista, and you have not used the product key to manually activate Windows Vista, install update 931573, and then restart the computer. • If you have been prompted to activate Windows Vista, and you have used the product key to manually activate Windows Vista, install update 931573, and then activate Windows Vista by telephone.

Note If Windows Vista was preinstalled by an OEM, the product key appears on a sticker on the case of the computer.

For more information about how to activate Windows Vista, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
925616 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925616/) Error message when you start Windows Vista: "Your activation period has expired"

Back to the top

To prevent this problem To prevent this problem, install update 931573. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com)
The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Windows Vista

Windows Vista for 64-bit Systems

pcgeek11

Message Edited by pcgeek11 on 06-24-2007 01:02 PM
No Events found!