Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 26th, 2013 18:00

Windows XP Media Center Edition BSOD

Hello,  I could use a little help.  My system, Dell E510, Windows XP Media Edition 2002 Service Pac 2, only boots to a blue screen. The error on the BSOD is SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE     Tech info:  STOP: 0X00000071  At one time the BSOD error read: PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE   Tech info: STOP: 0X0000006B.    I've tried using the LKGC but that fails as well with the same BSOD.  I can not go into Safe mode as the system hangs as Safe is loaded.  I can not recall just where but, I can retry it and get more information.  This all started after trying to copy some files from the hard drive to a 3.5in floppy in the drive. I can only believe the file formats were corrupt because as the file copied the system hung and kept writing to the floppy drive.  The only way I could get it to stop was by powering down the PC.  Since then I have been unable to come up with a way to boot up to the desktop.   It seems there is an issue with the boot sector of the drive and I can not access the drive utility to fix it.  I let chkdsk run all the way through on start up but, that did not fix the issue either.  I do not have any disks as they did not come with the machine when purchased new.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

December 31st, 2013 14:00

Hello natakuc4, 

It looks like I am all set for now.  I went to http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ ,after downloaded I found the .iso file, and burnt it to a cd.  Then I booted up my E510 using the cd as a boot drive. Once the utility loaded I started their mini Windows XP.  After running chkdsk c:/r from the cmd line three times the hard drive came back clean with no errors.  I removed the cd, exited the utility, restarted the E510 and it booted through to the logon user, password window with no BSOD.   I have a new WD hard drive on order now.  I plan to get all of my programs updated then image the hard drive and put it aside. That will get me a current full system backup.  From then on I will unplug my Ethernet cord and not put the PC back on the internet for any reason.  I may very well take you up on the idea of purchasing another working E510 for future spare parts. 

Thanks for your tid bits, 

Charlie

December 31st, 2013 15:00

Hello Natakuc4,

I am all set for now.  I used http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ to download their utility.  I burnt a cd of the .iso file.  I used that on the E510 as a boot drive.  Once the utility screen came up I selected Mini Windows XP.   Then using the CMD window I ran chkdsk c:/r  .  The first two scans the drive showed errors and corrections. The third time I ran it the hard drive showed it clean.  I removed the cd, exited the utility, and shut down the PC.  When I powered back up the system booted clean through to my logon window with no BSOD.   I'm a very happy person now....   I'm updating all of my software to make it all current.  I have a new hard drive on order.  My plan is to make a image of the drive, set it aside, and pull the eithernet net cable from the box, never to go online again.   I may very well go ahead and purchase a E510 as spare parts for latter use. That does sound like good advice. 

Thanks for your help,

Charlie

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 27th, 2013 08:00

Remove all floppy drives from the PC and then try rebooting. It may be trying to boot from the floppy disc.

Also avoid prolonged use of Windows XP, for more information see:

December 30th, 2013 14:00

There is no floppy in the drive.  The system boots through to the BSOD with the error message Process1_Initialization_failure , Stop: 0X0000006B.   I've tried changing the Boot up sequence.  The Hard drive diagnostics runs OK there are about 20 bit location on the drive that are unreadable otherwise the drive seems OK.  System setup runs OK. The Utility Partition brings up the hardware test diagnostics all runs OK there.  When I use the f8 to select boot OS the Safe Mode choices all hang up part way through the loading process.  LKGC boots through to the BSOD. Directory Services Restore Mode - goes to a black screen and hangs. Debugging Mode - goes to the BSOD.  Trying to use the Microsoft Windows Recovery as OS brings up - A dosk read error Occurred Ctr-Alt-Del. 

This is a Dell machine that came with Windows XP Media Edition.  Typically I would reload the operating system to make the computer useful again.  Since Dell did not supply them I'm in need of repairing the OS.  I just need to know how...  Upgrading is not an option.  as I've already paid for an operating system once for this machine.  Please help with useable suggestions... 

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 30th, 2013 15:00

Upgrading is not an option.  as I've already paid for an operating system once for this machine.  Please help with useable suggestions... 

Unfortunately I would say upgrading is pretty much your only option.

XP reaches End of Life in 4 months so Dell likely will be unable to provide you a Reinstallation DVD, moreover the Dell XP Media Centre Reinstallation DVD is relatively rare and more difficult to find on the likes of eBay. You need this to install/repair Windows XP. One is available for over $70 and would be a waste of cash better spent on the Windows 7/8.1 upgrade. 

December 30th, 2013 18:00

I purchased a Dell Laptop a couple of years ago. It has Windows 7 on it.  Some of the software that I was using on my E510 with Win XP Media Ed will not run on the newer machine.  I have older Rockwell, Allen Bradley software that is DOS based. The software typically uses RS232 to communicate to other controllers. I've tried loading the Rockwell software and using USB to RS232 converters with the new laptop and it does not work. I found out that in order for it to work I need to upgrade the Rockwell software to tune of 5K$.  I'm afraid that upgrading would cause more grief than getting the Win XP Media Edition back in working order.   Besides, If I went to Win 7/8 I'd also have to go to the expense of upgrading memory as it is only 1M now. I was perfectly happy with the XP Media Edition.  I hope there is some way of getting it fixed. 70$ is a minor expense if I can get the Win XP Media Edition operating system disc for that price I'd be happy. 

Currently I've been hooked up with a bootable utility CD that has a Mini Windows XP version.  I'm using that to see if I can repair the disk with chkdsk c:/r .  It is in it's third cycle now but, it looks like it may be getting better.  Once the errors are cleaned up I'll try rebooting and see if that works.  I'm open to any other suggestions that may work.  

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 30th, 2013 23:00

me of the software that I was using on my E510 with Win XP Media Ed will not run on the newer machine.  I have older Rockwell, Allen Bradley software that is DOS based. The software typically uses RS232 to communicate to other controllers. I've tried loading the Rockwell software and using USB to RS232 converters with the new laptop and it does not work. I found out that in order for it to work I need to upgrade the Rockwell software to tune of 5K$.

Okay the standard "home" user doesn't have that problem. The XP MCE is typically an XP OS designed for Home use and the Dimension is typically a Home product.

For something so mission critical you need to make sure you have an XP Installation media. The best thing you can do is have a full clean install and get it back up and running reliable.

Theres actually full Windows XP Home or Professional licenses for cheaper than the XP Media Centre Edition Reinstallation DVD:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEALED-GENUINE-Microsoft-Windows-XP-Home-FULL-OEM-CD-Retail-System-Builder-/171165997869?pt=US_Wholesale_Software&hash=item27da49db2d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealed-Windows-XP-Professional-32-bit-SP3-Full-Version-CD-License-Computer-/221345351788?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item338936086c

I didn't expect retail license to be cheaper but they are probably because as mentioned the XP OS is reaching End of Life and the media centre edition is rare. Likely you don't need media centre edition features and XP Professional would be better for you as XP MCE is the buggiest version of Windows XP.

You should get the media as soon as possible and follow my Legacy Windows XP Reinstallation Guide:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

You should then fully update Windows XP and create a system image with the likes of Acronis (for instructions about using Acronis, see the main Windows Reinstallation Guide.

Personally I would keeping the system off the internet. The memory upgrade to 2 GB or superior should be cheap.

One other thing I would recommend is getting another second hand E510: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Dimension-E510-Desktop-PC-Pentium-D-Dual-Core-2-80GHz-3GB-160GB-DVD-/261363085063?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item3cda742f07

You would want a second system where you can setup the exact same image in case of hardware failure.

You are going need to look into antivirus and security solutions for an OS that has reached End of Life. These days I am happier using Microsoft's solutions for Windows 7 and 8.1 but its highly unlikely XP will continue to get updates for Security Essentials post April 2014.

I suggest asking on the Virus & Spyware discussion board for some recommendations: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/ the people who post there have way more knowledge than me in that area.

No Events found!