Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

November 7th, 2007 12:00

Windows can't update

I bought Dell Inspiron 531 with Windows Vista.  I have been getting a message "windows can't update".  Finally, I decided to uninstall Norton and now using Windows Security center.

It was okay and it downloaded all the windows updates on November 2nd.  Now it's back to square one.  It keeps giving me a message Windows can't update again.  I tried turning off the firewall and still will not update.

Can someone suggest what to do? 

1 Message

December 6th, 2007 05:00

Turn off the firewall.

January 12th, 2008 20:00

my inspiron 1501 won't update, or connect to a few programs I have.  These programs are: the MSN email browser, AIM 6.5, and itunes.  However, I can connect to AIM 5.9.  I have the motherboard replaced a couple months ago, and I just reformatted, to see if reformatting would rid me of my connection/updating problems.  Nothing changed...  This computer has been a complete mess since I've purchased it.  Thanks!

2 Posts

January 31st, 2008 15:00

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 531 in November 2007 that would not update and would not let me into my Hotmail account. All I had to do to resolve issue was authinticate my Windows Home priemum version of windows and all problems were fixed.

15 Posts

February 28th, 2008 18:00

How do you authenticate Windows Vista Home Premium?

2 Posts

February 29th, 2008 00:00

Go to www.microsoft.com/genuine to validate  windows.

3 Posts

March 1st, 2008 15:00

By the way, my Windows Vista comes with the computer when I bought it from Dell.  It's genuine when I authenticate with Microsoft.

3 Posts

March 1st, 2008 15:00

Just to update everyone, Dell cannot help me with the Windows update after a live chat and taking over my computer.  The guy gave up on me. 

I found a temporary solution.  I uninstalled Norton Protection.  Turning off the Norton firewall doesn't work at all.

After I uninstalled Norton, my Windows Vista started downloading tons of Windows updates since August 2007 up to Feb. 2008.

I can't believe how much I missed including all urgent patches etc. 

After the update, I installed Norton again.  Guess what, I keep getting the same message that Windows can't update.

There should be a better solution out there.  I'm tired of calling Dell for this.  If someone has a better solution, please post it here. 

Thanks very much.

15 Posts

March 4th, 2008 14:00

I'm glad you mentioned this.  Over the course of spending many many hours will dell in chat and once via phone, they have made many changes to my 1420 LT.  This only added several more problems.  Being discussed after not really using it for a while (I've been using my desktop),  I decided to do a clean install and before I loaded my free McAfee from my Comcast service provider, I was successful in all windows updates, and there were many.  If your using Norton, I highly recommend dumping it...it's a slow dinosaur.  Use the free stuff from your internet provider if they offer one.  It's far more faster because they are catching lots of stuff through their server before it even gets in to your LT.  I'll report back if I run into any future Windows Update problem.  As a side note, don't try to add an external wireless mouse or keyboard at this time, even the dell branded stuff.  They still have a ways to go in perfecting this software.  This stuff will reek havoc with Vista software.  There is no doubt in my mind, Window really messed up big time here.  They launch a product to quickly that is a major departure from the other platforms like XP, etc.  Vista will be great for us from an added security standpoint once they fix all the bugs.  It will then be up to Mac standards. 

No Events found!