Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 31st, 2014 09:00

Windows update & folder questions

I have a inspiron 2020 with windows 7 service pack 1 installed.    Windows update won’t install the windows update.   Can I manually download the windows update update?

Also, my folders are locked.  I am not concerned about security.    I don’t need the folders locked.   How do I unlock all the folders at once.  I am a super user.

32 Posts

You really don't know what a super user is?    A super user is advanced computer user.       The update for windows update.  

Some folders have lock icons on them.   I was able to take ownership of documents & settings folder.   There maybe more folders that might have the lock icon.  I just wanted a faster way of doing that for the whole drive.  

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

"You really don't know what a super user is? A super user is advanced computer user."

"Super user" doesn't have a strict definition - it is not a pre-defined list of rights and privileges.  I wanted to know what YOU considered a "super user" - what are you doing?  What kind of special access do you need?  What is "locking" you out?  I know what I consider a "super user" or "power user", but even with my definition, there are very few reasons to "unlock" certain areas of the Windows file structure.

"Some folders have lock icons on them.   I was able to take ownership of documents & settings folder.   There maybe more folders that might have the lock icon.  I just wanted a faster way of doing that for the whole drive. "

Yes, those folders are "locked" to you by default, even as an administrator, and usually for a reason.  While as an administrator you have the ability to open most "locked" folders anyway, the "lock" indicates that it MUST be accessed by an administrator.  You mentioned "Documents and Settings" ... I'm assuming then that you are still using XP (?).  Even for an administrator, OTHER users' Documents and Settings folders will be "locked" (even though you can, through your administrator access, open them).  What else are you trying to "unlock"?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

"I have a inspiron 2020 with windows 7 service pack 1 installed.    Windows update won’t install the windows update.   Can I manually download the windows update update? "

What update?

"my folders are locked. I am not concerned about security. I don’t need the folders locked. How do I unlock all the folders at once."

Which folders?  What do you mean "locked"?  What are you trying to do?

"I am a super user."

What does this mean?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 31st, 2014 10:00

From their Support page, the 2020 would have shipped with Windows 7 or 8 ... so, no.  There are other ways D&S could have ended up there - restore/migration of profiles/settings/data, etc.

You "can" take ownership of the entire C: drive, if you feel you really need to, but that potentially opens you up to more damage in the event of a malware infection.

32 Posts

January 31st, 2014 10:00

I am using windows xp to post here.  I am doing somethings on the dell computer.    If you claim there is no  c:\documents & setting folders in c drive.  That must mean,  dell upgrade the inspiron one 2020 from windows xp sp3 to windows 7.   

32 Posts

January 31st, 2014 13:00

I did restore from the image disk that should explain the D & S folder.    I do that just in case it been returned and to see if the restore disk works. 

No Events found!