Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 9th, 2008 20:00

XP Service Pack 3 Kills AMD Machines

XP Service Pack 3 Kills AMD Machines
Quote: The problem relates to machines with SP3 installed rebooting and then not allowing users to get so much as Safe Mode. The problem is mainly affecting AMD users who bought their machines from HP.

Peace

4.4K Posts

May 10th, 2008 09:00

Fortunately, I have installed 4 SP3 updates on Dell Optiplex AMD systems with no problems.  Only HP system remaining is an old laptop with Intel processor and even that installed correctly.  You gotta feel for users who innocently update and then have no sound or worse, no computer.

366 Posts

May 10th, 2008 13:00

I have read that before downloading sp3 computer users should disable their AV, but quite a few of us still have automatic updates enabled so won't have time to do this. I was wondering this: having auto updates, I would have thought I have all of the updates that are in SP3 - if so why would I want SP3; will the updater recognise this and not try to give me sp3? To say I am a bit worried is an understatement. At present people can choose whether or no, but I believe after 10 June it will be forced on us.

edit: of course after writing this I saw the preceding post about what to do before downloading, but I think my point about auto updates is valid.

Message Edited by jec4312 on 05-10-2008 09:17 AM

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

May 10th, 2008 14:00

1.8K Posts

May 14th, 2008 15:00

Since SP3 requires you to accept an EULA, I don't think auto updates is going to install it without user intervention.  It will probably start the installation and pop up the EULA screen and wait until you accept it and tell it to go forward.  That will give you time to shut down everything running on your computer including your AV before allowing SP3 to install.
No Events found!