Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2013 12:00

XPS One 27 Windows 8 can't boot properly, can't revert to Windows 7

Ok so this is what happened.

As soon as I received my XPS One 27 (non touch panel) early October, I installed Windows 8 RTM. This worked great with a few flaws, like the eject and volume buttons not working which I figured was a driver issue. When the retail version of Windows 8 came out I purchased it through the upgrade deal and used the upgrade tool to install it. Since I already had Windows 8, the tool couldn't successfully complete the upgrade so I downloaded the full ISO file from MSDN and installed that. The same flaws were present, volume and eject buttons didn't work, sound would occasionally stop working, etc. Also it was at this moment that I noticed that the recovery partition had become unusable, the option to revert back to factory settings was gone.

When I saw the drivers for the XPS One 27 for Windows 8 were released I downloaded and installed them immediately, in the correct order. After I installed the BIOS driver and rebooted, I kept getting the Windows failed to start error and the blue recovery environment. In order to be able to boot, I'd have to do a Refresh, meaning I'd lose all my installed programs but keep my files, the every time the system booted. As soon as the system went into sleep mode, the audio was gone and I had to reboot in order to get it back, thus having to refresh again and lose all my installed programs.

Since there was no way I could work like this any longer I tried to revert back to Windows 7, even without the recovery partition. The only way I could access the recovery partition was through command line, so I looked for the image file there and used imagex to install it. I now have Windows 7 again but as soon as the system boots I get a blue screen telling me the booting was stopped to prevent damage to the system and to look for viruses or remove any newly installed hardware. At this point I gave up, if I looked deeper into the issue and did more research online I could probably figure out the problem and find a solution but I have done a complete reinstall of Windows 8 more than 5 times and the Refresh in system restore at least 20 times, I have already spent a lot of hours on this and I shouldn't have to on a brand new system.

I called Dell tech support, explained my situation and while the person on the phone was helpful for a hardware issue I also have, his advice for the above issue was less than helpful. He said that since the system was shipped with Windows 7, I should stick with Windows 7. According to him the upgrade deal to Windows 8 is offered only be Microsoft and there is no guarantee that it'll work on my system. He went as far as saying that since I don't have a touch panel, there is no reason for me to upgrade to Windows 8 since "I won't be able to move those little colored square thingies anyway" (which isn't even true) and that if Windows 8 doesn't work on my system then there's no helping that.  I responded by telling him that

• the choice of OS is entirely up to me, regardless of the reason!
  • a touch panel isn't required to get the most out of Windows 8, I have a Logitech touch pad and a Leap developer kit on the way
  • the XPS One 27 without touch panel has the same exact hardware components as the touch panel version, so it HAS to work!
  • Dell offers drivers for my system for Windows 8, which ironically broke everything, so it's supposed to work!
  • the upgrade to Windows 8 was promoted on the product page of the XPS One 27 that shipped with Windows 7

He wouldn't hear any of it. In the end he arranged for someone to come over to fix my hardware issue (replace the LCD panel because of dead pixels) and that I should just call back to tech support after that has happened to fix my booting issue. 

Obviously I don't have high hopes of my booting issue getting fixed if the quality of support I get over the phone is of the type "colored square thingies", so I ask here is anyone has had the same issues as me or has any ideas on how to fix them.

Thanks in advance.

January 7th, 2013 13:00

You mentioned you installed the BIOS driver after the Windows 8 drivers for the Dell XPS were released, did you mean that you update the BIOS itself. When checking the Dell Support Drivers page for your computer, I see that there were quite a few BIOS updates with the most recent being on December 20th, 2012. It would be helpful to know which version you used to do your BIOS update. By chance, did you also update any of the BIOS settings? Specifically for the hard drive boot method? (I.E. SATA, ATA, AHCI, etc.)

My first thought is that it might be helpful to try to update the hard drive boot method within the BIOS to see if that allows Windows 7 to boot properly. My next thought is that you also could try to run a repair install by using the Windows 7 installation media, but you did say that you tried the repair install and it was unsuccessful. If neither of the two recommendations above work, your best and most viable option will be to do a custom, otherwise known as a ‘clean’, installation and fully delete the existing partitions prior to reinstalling Windows 7 or Windows 8. I know you mentioned you have attempted to reinstall the operating system several times but it is not clear if you also completely deleted all existing partitions leaving the hard drive space unallocated and ready for a clean install, not a reinstall. You will also want to check which hard drive boot setting you are attempting to run the install under. 

Finally, I always like to suggest that you check out the Springboard Series Page for Windows 7 and the Springboard Series page for Windows 8 on TechNet for additional resources as it pertains to installing and moving from one OS to another.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

No Events found!