Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 11th, 2013 03:00

about languages

Hello friends.
  I have a xps l702x which came with a Greek Os (I'm living in Greece).
For some reasons I prefere to change my language to english.
 I read that is possible if I would reinstall W7 from an .iso (digital life)
and that is legal if I use the same laptop just one time with my coa activation key.
  My question is : What I have to do to get corect drivers?
 for example, what about the Dell's support utility software?
 Many drivers are in a special language and if I get them from the greek Dell's site
will be in greek. I'm afraid to brink a mess.
 Is it possible and right to choose another country? e.g USA? after what about the time zone? etc..
   Please I need your help how I have to manage this story....
                      Thank you for your time.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 12th, 2013 03:00

Hi Appolon,

You will be able to install the Operating system with language change when you selecting Keyboard method while installation.  However the ISO DVD should have the option of multiple language option where you can change the language.

Installation of drivers or other software depends on the language of the Operating system. However you may click on the link below for drivers:

http://dell.to/UAt9Pz

Please install the drivers in the order given in the link below:

http://dell.to/X1IKGu

In case of Dell Support Centre, it uses the Operating system to determine the proper language to display. If the language is changed on the system, Dell Support Center must be reinstalled to use the correct language.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 13th, 2013 14:00

Sorry I didn't know you had Office 2010 Starter. The language packs only work with one of the full versions of Office 2010.

Works 9 was often preinstalled on Dell systems before Office 2010 if the user didn't opt to purchase Office 2010 it has limited functionality with respect to Office. It is free to download from Digital River no product key required.

Office 2010 Starter is preinstalled only, unfortunately Microsoft didn't make the installers for Office 2010 Starter available as they wanted it preinstalled only. They used to have them hidden on their website and some users on the MyDigitalLife forums found the download links, I have the installer for all 37 languages including English and Greek for instance but they have since been removed. It is only Word and Excel with limited functionality and heavy advertising. It was designed to entice users to purchase the full version of Office 2010. Office 2010 Starter is pretty much obsolete and replaced with Office WebApps on the SkyDrive. If you are just a light Office user then the Web Apps should suffice and work better than Office 2010 Starter: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/web-apps

There is also the full version of Office 2010 which you must purchase but now there Office 2013 is out (perhaps its best for you to try out the customer preview) for the time being. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/office-products-FX101825692.aspx

29 Posts

March 12th, 2013 03:00

Sujatha I really appreciate for your reply, for your "given" time, for answers.

Is not often I'm getting so "exact" answers.. that I have nothing else to ask.

Thank you a lot! (of course thread is marked as solved.)

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 12th, 2013 05:00

See Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows for details:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

Technically you are meant to get Windows 7 Ultimate for the ability to switch between languages but for a permanent one time change the English Digital River .iso will work.

My guide explains Clean Installation of Windows 7 in great details aswell as giving the links for the .iso. If interested there is also download links for Microsoft Office and language packs contained within the guide so you can install Microsoft Office 2010 English and a Greek language pack and have the ability to switch between them

29 Posts

March 12th, 2013 11:00

..Hello natakuc4...thanks for advices..

....Of course I know the guide....is just from there I got the idea...

...so is it yours?.....Then I have to thank you two times!

.....Is really a great guide for installing W7 in Dell's OEM systems and general...

Thank you for offering your knowledges..

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 12th, 2013 17:00

Yes it is my guide, glad you are finding it helpful. :)

29 Posts

March 13th, 2013 06:00

Hi nataku4

....I'm lucky to have you here in this thread...

so I can ask some questions...

In my xpsl702x (greek os) there is Office starter(Excel & Word) and advertising for office10..

(...to be honest..I really don't know what I have...:)....Is enough for me notepad & notepad++...)

My Question is : In your above post you suggest me to use the office links.

From first -quick reading- your Guide I didn't understand how and what I have

to win from downloading office...

You wrote office starter doesn't has the "rights" to use the downloading office?..after you wrote

..we can use the language packs..

What I am missing? Can you help me to understand if I can use some from your suggestions or not?

Also do you know "Works9", is it independent from license for office? Any advice is welcome

Thank you, I really appreciate the time you spend for me...

29 Posts

March 13th, 2013 18:00

...Thank you Natakuc4..

everything is more than clear...  now.

You offer important informations - tutorials  and you are valueable for me, for everybody...

(at this moment I don't feel so good.... because of the thread "drivers download..."

...I wanted to write something possitive for all the people here......and in the end ...I suppose it became...negative...

because they deleted it....maybe from my "poor english"...)

Anyway that is my problem....not yours....

Thanks for all your suggestions.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 14th, 2013 04:00

Your post wasn't deleted and is here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/p/19496509/20321045.aspx#20321045

The thread was locked by Rick because it was veering off track and then I split it because the Drivers and Downloads has been updated and the problem described at the end of 2011/Start of 2012 is completely different to the problem now. Therefore the solutions posted in that thread won't work at the current time.

29 Posts

March 14th, 2013 14:00

.....Natakuc4...I believe you are a "wonderful"...person..

...just because you post this message...

....I prefere to forget...about my "deep analyze"....:(

....it is not my business...to be critical in any way....

...much more... when I don't know really what is going on....

...and if a laptop has a problem...maybe it comes just from the shop

someone bought it....

...we ...the Mediterranean people sometimes we are more spontaneous than we have to be...

...Thank you again for your good will...and good Guides..

....and say to Dell to fix the site for drivers and bios....:)

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 14th, 2013 16:00

Its alright you are entitled to complain if something doesn't work as it should just as long as it doesn't aggressive which is why Ian's comments were deleted by one of the moderators. You are a customer after all and have paid for the system.

...we ...the Mediterranean people sometimes we are more spontaneous than we have to be...

I know but you are also really warm and friendly... I have met a lot of people from Greece and other Mediterranean countries and shared a room with an Italian for half a year. Also one of my best friends is Greek. :)

...Thank you again for your good will...and good Guides..

No problem, I am glad you found them useful. 

....and say to Dell to fix the site for drivers and bios....:)

With regards to the drivers and downloads I have personally been leaving feedback about it for probably 2-3 years now.

29 Posts

March 16th, 2013 00:00

Okay...I'm glad you can "excuse" my mistakes..

..I wanted to write you some more of my thoughts...

..but I don't want to usurp and abuse the room here..

..so I close it here...See you! :)

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 16th, 2013 06:00

You can click my name on the top left of one of my posts and add me as a friend/send me a private message if you want to state your opinion to me.

Bare in mind however that I don't work for Dell and probably share a similar opinion about the Drivers and Downloads services for instance. I have left an assortment of feedback for such services and it has not yet all been implemented.

No Events found!