Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2010 15:00

deleting password expiration date in windows 7 home premium

i wish to delete my password  expiration date in windows seven so i  don:t have to switch my password every few months?I have been told to use the command 

net accounts/maxpwage/unlimited etc. but this does not work on my computer.. other options  reinstall  windows 7 which  would eliminate the programs i have installed and i would have to reinstall them? this would take a long time to do this for a neophyte.. other options is go to the restore pt. at which this was not a problem. i do not know this as i believe it existed from day one on this dell computer? any other suggestions?

1.1K Posts

May 25th, 2010 18:00

redfordl2010

I know you have already mentioned trying the command prompt method (ALL versions of Windows 7)

So not sure if it’s typo errors or not, but you said:

Quote “I have been told to use the command net accounts/maxpwage/unlimited

The correct command is net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited then press the Enter key

And you need to include the spaces between (net & accounts) as well as between (accounts & /)

18 Posts

May 26th, 2010 07:00

hey bell boy thanks for your advice and yes the command with the proper spaces worked the command was completed successfully!! i have been trying to correct this situation with the net accounts command for months and i tried all the different spacing variations but none worked.. and one of them was as you quoted.But anyway

thank you for your help on a frustrating problem of deleting this password expiration date!!!!!  i checked the settings for lthe maxpwage on the command net accounts and  yes the max. pass age was changed to zero!!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2010 05:00

See THIS from the Windows 7 forum.  It appears to answer your questions.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2010 09:00

If  not on a domain, then right-click on Computer>Manage.  Then go to Users/Groups, right-click on your user, Properties and check Password Never Expires.

18 Posts

May 22nd, 2010 09:00

when i click on THIS from the windows 7 forum i get a window saying this service is no longer available. How do i get into it?  thanks!!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2010 11:00

I'm registered with Windows 7 forum and get the page, if you are not, that may be the cause, but I found the link doing a google search.

Here is what is on the Windows 7 forum link:

OPTION ONE

Through Local Security Policy Manager

NOTE: This option is only available for the Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

1. If you have not already, you must enable password expiration for each user account that you want to have their password expire for that user to be able to get a warning that their password will expire before the maximum password age has been reached.

2. Open the Local Security Policy editor.

3. In the left pane, expand Local Policies, and click on Security Options. (see screenshot below)
Password Expiration Warning - Change Time-secpol-1.jpg

4. In the right pane, double click on Interactive logon: Prompt user to change password before expiration. (see screenshot above)

5. Type in how many days you want Windows 7 to begin prompting users to change their password before it expires, then click on OK. (see screenshot below)
Password Expiration Warning - Change Time-secpol-2.jpg

6. Close the Local Security Policy editor.

OPTION TWO

Through Registry Editor

NOTE: This option is available for all Windows 7 editions.

1. If you have not already, you must enable password expiration for each user account that you want to have their password expire for that user to be able to get a warning that their password will expire before the maximum password age has been reached.

2. Open the Start Menu, then type regedit in the search box and press enter.

3. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.

4. In regedit, navigate to the location below: (see screenshot below)

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Password Expiration Warning - Change Time-reg1.jpg

5. In the right pane of Winlogon, double click on PasswordExpiryWarning. (see screenshot above)

6. Select (dot) Decimal, then type in how many days you want Windows 7 to begin prompting users to change their password before it expires and click on OK. (see screenshot below)
Password Expiration Warning - Change Time-reg2.jpg

7. Close regedit.

8. Restart the computer to fully apply.

18 Posts

May 22nd, 2010 13:00

i cannot change value for expiration date warning the computer will not let me do that.  But i essentially want  to disable the password  expiration date

feature in windows 7 home premium.  thanks!!

18 Posts

May 22nd, 2010 13:00

will not work for windows 7 home premium. thanks!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2010 15:00

redfordl2010,

My Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium doe NOT have this feature. Are you sure you have Windows Home Premium?

Start, control panel, system

Sounds like you have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. That sounds like some type of feature a company uses.

Is this a company computer?

Rick

18 Posts

May 22nd, 2010 18:00

no,it is windows 7 home premium with 64 bit operating system that i use for personal use ( dell inspiron 646) thanks!!

18 Posts

May 24th, 2010 10:00

is there any way to correct the situation so the computer accepts the change in values  decimal  and  the # of days value. i get an

error message saying the computer will not accept the value change.

thanks!!

1.1K Posts

May 26th, 2010 08:00

You’re welcome  :emotion-21::emotion-5:

Bell Boy

No Events found!