Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

August 12th, 2008 14:00

laptop M1530

brand new and already op system problems.  will not let me do a back up so i can reinstall windows vista.  Can I do a back up by doing a copy and paste on to cd or usb memory?  And then reinstall windows.  Dell wants to charge me to tell me how to do a back up.  As I said BRAND NEW only a month old.  DELL NO HELP

everything they had me do I had already done.

3 Posts

August 12th, 2008 17:00

i agree that dell customer service stinks....... i have a new 1530 and having software issues and they will not help me unless I pay them for service.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

August 13th, 2008 00:00

1 - The software is not Dell's. so why should they offer free service for it. Dell has no control over the software or how it is used/misused. You need to contact Microsoft.

2 - How were you trying to do the back-up and why do you need to reinstall the OS? If you are just copying data files, pictures, etc, yes you can do a copy/paste to an external hard drive or a DVD. However, using a back-up program (the built-in Vista Back-up isn't too bad) to an external HD of DVD is better, as it saves most data.

3 Posts

August 13th, 2008 01:00

I do know that the software is Microsoft.  I spoke with Microsoft and they told me that dell reconfigures all the software to their standards and that they could not help me.  That I needed to speak with dell. Of course speaking to dell is a waste of time.

And I did backup all my stuff to a dvd since i haven't gotten an external hard drive. 

Message Edited by mommy2boys on 08-12-2008 09:52 PM

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

August 13th, 2008 02:00

Dell will help in the reinstallation of the OS, but they will not offer free assistance in the operation of the software. They do not reconfigure the OS. They do reconfigure some software, such as video drivers.

If you detail your original problem, perhaps we can help you. It's best to try to effect a repair instead of reloading the OS, especially a "clean install", and especially if you are not conforable doing it.

August 13th, 2008 10:00

there are to many problems to even begin. I can not run a back up or restore from windows

can't run any spyware software.  won't install anything.  some windows it won't even let me view

sometimes can get on the internet sometimes not.  I've tried to restore from the os cd back to an earlier

date and it did not help.

No Events found!